Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

packet capture 7240 controller

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  packet capture 7240 controller

Posted Sep 01, 2016 10:00 AM

Hello,

We are experiencing communications up and down to our local 7420 controllers.  I believe it's likely a network issue of some sort so wanted to do a packet capture.

(for example, i noticed that IOS has an update, which I thought we blocked but now I'm not sure).  any any apple-update deny and any any ios-ota-update deny.

We have 10 gig fiber link on gig 0/0/2 for our uplink from the controller.

I wanted to plug my laptop into 0/0/0 and do a packet capture.

This is the command I have, but I'm not getting anything in wireshark.  

Is there something obvious I'm missing?  
    interface gigabitethernet 0/0/0

description "GE0/0/0"

trusted

trusted vlan 1-4094

port monitor gigabitethernet 0/0/2

Thank you,
    Sarah

• 2.  RE: packet capture 7240 controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 01, 2016 10:04 AM

Is 0/0/0 10 gig as well?  You can only monitor a port from the same speed interface...

• 3.  RE: packet capture 7240 controller

Posted Sep 01, 2016 10:12 AM

0/0/0 is 1 gig.  Would there be another way I could try and see what's going on then?

• 4.  RE: packet capture 7240 controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 01, 2016 10:15 AM

Do you have Airwave?  If you have AMON turned on, the APPRF tabl would tell you traffic coming in and out.

More specifically, what is your issue?

• 5.  RE: packet capture 7240 controller

Posted Sep 01, 2016 10:22 AM

Thanks we do have airwave so that's our initial tell-tale report.  Email alerts of WAPs going up and down as well as the controllers. From the client end the laptop loses connectivity then it eventually comes back when things settle down.  This doesn't happen regularly by any means but today it's happening very consistently. So was wondering if I could see anything to help get to the root.  In airwave when I go to AppRF I do see those pie charts. I'll see if anything sticks out.  Appreciate the tips!

• 6.  RE: packet capture 7240 controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 01, 2016 10:24 AM

See if there are any interface errors on the 10gig port (show interface )

Also on the controller type "show ap debug counters" to see if there are any APs with more bootstraps than others.