Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

packet loss in HT mode

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  packet loss in HT mode

Posted May 06, 2013 01:19 AM
    Hi All,

I am using controller 3400 with version 6.1.3.6 and I am getting very less number of packet loss on the network. But if I disable the HT then I do not see any packet loss in the network.

Is it normal if we can see one or two packet loss in the network if HT is enable?

• 2.  RE: packet loss in HT mode

Posted May 06, 2013 08:36 AM

How were  you able to determine this ?

• 3.  RE: packet loss in HT mode

Posted May 08, 2013 09:28 PM

Hi Nallan,

This is intresting, let us know, how you were testing the packet loss?

• 4.  RE: packet loss in HT mode

Posted May 09, 2013 12:21 PM
    We have a client connected to Ethernet port of mesh point. If we ping the client connected to Ethernet port of mesh point from the wired client from the network on the portal side. If we ping both the client then we are getting packet loss of about 4 percentage in HT enable on the mesh but if we disable the HT on the mesh then we are getting packet loss percentage of 1 percentage.
    We are using AP-124 as a mesh APs provisioned as an outdoor AP

Do you have any idea?

• 5.  RE: packet loss in HT mode

Posted May 09, 2013 03:26 PM

What type of client (wireless card/chipset) are you using ? 

• 6.  RE: packet loss in HT mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 09, 2013 10:10 PM

@vfabian wrote:

What type of client (wireless card/chipset) are you using ? 

Huh?  There are no wireless clients involved.

• 7.  RE: packet loss in HT mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 09, 2013 10:10 PM

@nallan wrote:
    We have a client connected to Ethernet port of mesh point. If we ping the client connected to Ethernet port of mesh point from the wired client from the network on the portal side. If we ping both the client then we are getting packet loss of about 4 percentage in HT enable on the mesh but if we disable the HT on the mesh then we are getting packet loss percentage of 1 percentage.
    We are using AP-124 as a mesh APs provisioned as an outdoor AP

Do you have any idea?

Nallan,

Cover your bases:

1.  Configure broadcast-multicast optimization on the wired VLAN so that no broadcasts are propagated (config t  interface vlan x bcmc optimization)

2.  Find out the RSSI of that link and see if you can re-aim it to get it as high as possible

3.  See if those two make a difference.

• 8.  RE: packet loss in HT mode

Posted May 09, 2013 10:19 PM
    Oops

• 9.  RE: packet loss in HT mode

Posted May 11, 2013 01:48 AM
    Hi CJ
    Thanks for the reply.

Could you please clarify me on the below details.
    1. What is the minimum best rssi value we should get in mesh link? In my case it is 34
    2. Enabling HT will increase the coverage if I am right. So enabling HT will should increase rssi value on the link . am I right that too in 802.11a band?
    3. If there is no much traffic on mesh link that too in 802.11a band so enabling bcmc will help in this case.?

I am sorry if I am asking too many question but just getting clarify that's all.
    Thanks once again

• 10.  RE: packet loss in HT mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2013 08:18 AM

@nallan wrote:
    Hi CJ
    Thanks for the reply.

Could you please clarify me on the below details.
    1. What is the minimum best rssi value we should get in mesh link? In my case it is 34
    2. Enabling HT will increase the coverage if I am right. So enabling HT will should increase rssi value on the link . am I right that too in 802.11a band?
    3. If there is no much traffic on mesh link that too in 802.11a band so enabling bcmc will help in this case.?

I am sorry if I am asking too many question but just getting clarify that's all.
    Thanks once again

1.  20 should be your target.  34 is very good

2.  HT would not increase the RSSI, but in general, it would make it more reliable.  If it does not make it more reliable in your circumstance, it could be an issue in your environment.

3.  Turning on bcmc on the VLAN would remove downstream broadcasts, which *could* remove some of the contention, yes.

Ultimately, if you turn HT off and it makes the link more reliable, leave it off.  There are things in your environment that you cannot fix, and if you can improve things by making a change, do it.

• 11.  RE: packet loss in HT mode

Posted May 13, 2013 05:52 AM

Hi,

Since this is AP124, can i ask you about the antenna installed in this AP? 

Are there three antennas all of same type used on the AP124(both mesh portal and point)? 

what is the orientation of all the three antenna on the AP124? If all of them are they perpendicular to the ground.?

With the HT mode on, try setting one the antenna at 45 degree angle. Thus creating a multipath reception of the signals.