Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

packet loss in HT mode

Hi All,

I am using controller 3400 with version 6.1.3.6 and I am getting very less number of packet loss on the network. But if I disable the HT then I do not see any packet loss in the network.

Is it normal if we can see one or two packet loss in the network if HT is enable?

Re: packet loss in HT mode

How were  you able to determine this ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Regular Contributor I

Hi Nallan,

This is intresting, let us know, how you were testing the packet loss?

We have a client connected to Ethernet port of mesh point. If we ping the client connected to Ethernet port of mesh point from the wired client from the network on the portal side. If we ping both the client then we are getting packet loss of about 4 percentage in HT enable on the mesh but if we disable the HT on the mesh then we are getting packet loss percentage of 1 percentage.
We are using AP-124 as a mesh APs provisioned as an outdoor AP

Do you have any idea?

What type of client (wireless card/chipset) are you using ? 

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Guru Elite

nallan wrote:
We have a client connected to Ethernet port of mesh point. If we ping the client connected to Ethernet port of mesh point from the wired client from the network on the portal side. If we ping both the client then we are getting packet loss of about 4 percentage in HT enable on the mesh but if we disable the HT on the mesh then we are getting packet loss percentage of 1 percentage.
We are using AP-124 as a mesh APs provisioned as an outdoor AP

Do you have any idea?

Nallan,

Cover your bases:

1.  Configure broadcast-multicast optimization on the wired VLAN so that no broadcasts are propagated (config t  interface vlan x bcmc optimization)

2.  Find out the RSSI of that link and see if you can re-aim it to get it as high as possible

3.  See if those two make a difference.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Guru Elite

vfabian wrote:

What type of client (wireless card/chipset) are you using ? 

Huh?  There are no wireless clients involved.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Oops
Thank you

Victor Fabian

Hi CJ
Thanks for the reply.

Could you please clarify me on the below details.
1. What is the minimum best rssi value we should get in mesh link? In my case it is 34
2. Enabling HT will increase the coverage if I am right. So enabling HT will should increase rssi value on the link . am I right that too in 802.11a band?
3. If there is no much traffic on mesh link that too in 802.11a band so enabling bcmc will help in this case.?

I am sorry if I am asking too many question but just getting clarify that's all.
Thanks once again

Guru Elite

nallan wrote:
Hi CJ
Thanks for the reply.

Could you please clarify me on the below details.
1. What is the minimum best rssi value we should get in mesh link? In my case it is 34
2. Enabling HT will increase the coverage if I am right. So enabling HT will should increase rssi value on the link . am I right that too in 802.11a band?
3. If there is no much traffic on mesh link that too in 802.11a band so enabling bcmc will help in this case.?

I am sorry if I am asking too many question but just getting clarify that's all.
Thanks once again

1.  20 should be your target.  34 is very good

2.  HT would not increase the RSSI, but in general, it would make it more reliable.  If it does not make it more reliable in your circumstance, it could be an issue in your environment.

3.  Turning on bcmc on the VLAN would remove downstream broadcasts, which *could* remove some of the contention, yes.

Ultimately, if you turn HT off and it makes the link more reliable, leave it off.  There are things in your environment that you cannot fix, and if you can improve things by making a change, do it.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: