Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

proper OS upgrade process

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  proper OS upgrade process

Posted Dec 27, 2012 02:26 PM

I have 12 Aruba controllers... 3200's and 650's.

I see there is a new OS release out 6.1.3.6 (I am currently using 6.1.3.4), is there a REAL need to upgrade to this new version?

If so, what is the correct procedure to install new OS on these controllers....? (Master first, then remote sites etc.. )

thx,

l

• 2.  RE: proper OS upgrade process

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 27, 2012 02:29 PM
      |   view attached

Lanman_4,

Take a look at the attached release notes and see if you are affected by anything listed.  If nothing you are experiencing is addressed it is not worth upgrading 12 controllers.  If you feel you need to upgrade, upgrade instructions are included in the release notes.  You can also open up a TAC case so that they can determine, specific to your deployment if you would benefit from upgrading.

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: proper OS upgrade process

Posted Dec 27, 2012 02:35 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have a ton of syslogdwrap (1559) messages on a few controllers (which I have been told not to worry about),,, do you know if this OS repairs this issue?

thx

• 4.  RE: proper OS upgrade process

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 27, 2012 02:38 PM

If it is the one I am thinking of it fixes it, but the message is cosmetic and misleading.  Do you have a sample of the message?

• 5.  RE: proper OS upgrade process

Posted Dec 27, 2012 02:43 PM
      |   view attached

I have attached a few lines from the process logs...

thx.

Attachment(s)

txt
    SYSLOG.txt   753 B 1 version

• 6.  RE: proper OS upgrade process

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 27, 2012 02:59 PM

It is in 6.1.3.6, but is not in the release notes, unfortunately.  It is however, cosmetic.

• 7.  RE: proper OS upgrade process

Posted Dec 27, 2012 03:03 PM

?? the fix for this is in .6?

is it worth the effort of upgrading to remove this message from the logs? It is generating ALOT of messages...

thx

• 8.  RE: proper OS upgrade process

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 27, 2012 03:07 PM

You can ensure that all of your logs are on "warnings". Type show logging level verbose to ensure that they are.  That might cut down on the messages.

In terms of the upgrade, if you told me that you had one controller and you were scheduling an upgrade anyway over the holiday, and you had an upgrade and backout plan, I would say yes.

Not knowing the details of your network, I would say that it is not worth it.

If you want to upgrade you can certainly upgrade all the controllers then  reboot them at the same time and philosophically, you would be okay.  The discovery method your access points use, the bandwidth they have to the controller and the method you use to monitor the state of all of your APs across those 12 controllers would dictate how you manage such an upgrade.  If you have never done this before, it is not a good time to do so without a plan, regardless.