Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

"High Noise Floor" under Dashboard > Potential Issues

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  "High Noise Floor" under Dashboard > Potential Issues

Posted Oct 29, 2012 09:54 PM

If the Controller show have the "High Noise Floor" under dashboard > Potential issues, do i need take any action? Or controller will handle it?

• 2.  RE: "High Noise Floor" under Dashboard > Potential Issues

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 30, 2012 01:19 AM

The controller will try to avoid the channel, but with only 3 available channels in the 2.4ghz range, it would be best to identify what could be causing the interference and remove it if possible so that your clients will perform better.  What is the noise reading?  If it is --85 to -100 that is not bad, at all...

• 3.  RE: "High Noise Floor" under Dashboard > Potential Issues

Posted Feb 06, 2013 08:53 PM
    I apologize in advance for the newbie question but I to am seeing high noise floor -77 and -72 on two of my AP's. What can/should I be looking for in the way of interference?

• 4.  RE: "High Noise Floor" under Dashboard > Potential Issues

Posted Feb 06, 2013 08:59 PM

You should also look the amount of retries and check the AP neighbors to see if there's any other devices using overlapping channels

If you execute the following command it  should provide enough information :

show ap arm rf- summary ap-name <ap-name>

show ap arm neighbors ap-name <ap-name>

• 5.  RE: "High Noise Floor" under Dashboard > Potential Issues

Posted Feb 06, 2013 09:04 PM
    I'll give it a try. Thanks.

• 6.  RE: "High Noise Floor" under Dashboard > Potential Issues

Posted Feb 07, 2013 11:47 PM

I have noticed that one of the AP's has neighbors with overlapping channels. I thought the controller determines the best channel to use for each AP. I suppose I am able to hardcode the channel for a particular AP...how is that done? Should I muck with that? We are using 105's.

• 7.  RE: "High Noise Floor" under Dashboard > Potential Issues

Posted Feb 06, 2013 09:09 PM
    In 2.4GHz you'll be concerned with cordless phones, Bluetooth devices, microwaves, and other access points. Is that where you're seeing?

You can enable spectrum monitoring on those APs if you'd like try to discover the sources of interference.

• 8.  RE: "High Noise Floor" under Dashboard > Potential Issues

Posted Feb 07, 2013 10:10 PM

yes primarily in the 2.4 range. How do I turn on Spectrum monitoring exactly?

• 9.  RE: "High Noise Floor" under Dashboard > Potential Issues

Posted Feb 07, 2013 11:04 PM

In your radio profiles you can change the mode of your APs to one of the following: am-mode, ap-mode, spectrum-mode (hybrid mode).  am-mode = air monitor, doesn't serve clients.  ap-mode = standard ap.  spectrum-mode = spectrum monitoring.  If you select ap-mode, you there will be a check box to enable Spectrum Monitoring.  The AP will operate in hybrid mode, serving clients and performing spectrum monitoring simultaneously.

CLI example:

rf dot11a-radio-profile "dot11a_radio_profile"

mode ap-mode
    spectrum-monitoring

Chapter 34 of the Aruba OS User Guide talks about Spectrum Analysis.

• 10.  RE: "High Noise Floor" under Dashboard > Potential Issues

Posted Feb 07, 2013 11:33 PM

Awesome. Thanks

• 11.  RE: "High Noise Floor" under Dashboard > Potential Issues

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 07, 2013 11:49 PM
    leave them alone.