Wireless Access

MVP

"User has a (yellow,red) alert"

In VisualRF, I'm trying to decipher the message "This user has a (yellow,red) alert: User exceeds signal quality threshold".  Most clients showing up seem to have either a yellow or red alert.  Common sense would tell me this is bad, but when I click on the Diagnostic button for the client(s), everything under the "Possible Issues" table seems to be okay. I could use some help understanding the yellow and red alerts if anyone has any input.

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Guru Elite

Re: "User has a (yellow,red) alert"

What version of Airwave is this?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

7.2.5.  We plan to ugprade soon.

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.

The yellow/red icon for clients is a configurable measurement.  The setting is dependant on what the network admin views as the threshold for bad / okay / good coverage.

Since I don't currently have a 7.2 AMP up and running, I'll give the location for AMP versions 7.1.2 and 7.5.5 - this will reflect the 2 locations for the preference settings.

In 7.1.2:

1. Navigate to VisualRF

2. drill down to any floor plan

3. pull down the 'Display'

4. in the 'Options' group -> select Change QuickView prefs (icon is a file with a gear, bottom left in the options group)

5. A preferences view should pop up, expand the 'configure preferences for' drop down -> select Users

6. Here, you can enable / disable the feature by checking / unchecking the box next to signal strength; or adjust the sliders left or right to what makes sense for your deployment.

7.  Once done, close the preference screen -> the setting change should have been saved on the fly as you made the change

In 7.5.5:

1. Navigate to VisualRF

2. In the top right of the network view, select the 'preferences' icon *(icon is a file with a gear, between site tree and help icons)

3. A preferences view should pop up, expand the 'configure preferences for' drop down -> select Clients

4. Here, you can enable / disable the feature by checking / unchecking the box next to signal strength; or adjust the sliders left or right to what makes sense for your deployment.

5. Once done, close the preference screen -> the setting change should have been saved on the fly as you made the change

I've attached images for where the Preference icon is located.

Rob Gin
Senior QA Engineer - Network Services
Aruba Networks, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
MVP

Thanks for the info!  We're on 7.5.5, now.  After doing some research on SNR, I have a better understanding of what the alert is for.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: