Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor I

"rap-operation always" but AP reboots when controller communication goes down

Hello,

[Running ArubaOS 6.2.1.4.]

I'm looking at providing an SSID which works even when contact with the controller is lost.  I've set up a separate virtual AP with 'rap-operation always' and 'forward-mode bridge'.  This seems to do the trick: a few seconds after contact with the controller is lost, the SSIDs on tunneled virtual APs stop being advertised, but the bridged SSID one continues to function.

However, after several minutes, the AP reboots to try and reestablish communication with the controller.  After it has completed rebooting, the bridged SSID resumes (and the tunnelled ones not), but then it dies again after about 10 minutes, when the AP reboots to find the controller again.  The result is the bridged SSID is unavailable periodically.

Is there a way to stop the rebooting from happening?

Finally, this behaviour is identical across CAPs and RAPs - I assume that when local bridging was added to CAPs (in ArubaOS 5.0, I think), this functionality was retained but the parameter continued to be called 'rap-operation'.

Thanks in advance,

- Bob

Guru Elite

Re: "rap-operation always" but AP reboots when controller communication goes down

[ Edited ]

In the AP system profile, set IPSEC Retries to Zero and it will not go down.

RAP-ALWAYS only pertains to RAPS and NOT CAPS.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Re: "rap-operation always" but AP reboots when controller communication goes down

Thanks for your help - for the IPsec retries, to you mean:

ap system-profile "always-up_sys"

number_ipsec_retries 0

... that doesn't seem to be working for me on either a RAP (or a CAP) -- once I take the VLAN on the upstream switch port away from the RAP, breaking the communication with the controller, the AP reboots after a few minutes.  The AP group has a VAP with 'rap-operation always' although something probably wasn't associated at the time (if that makes a difference).

FWIW, the 'rap-operation always' seems to work fine for me on a CAP (with the reboot, but that's the same as a RAP), but I'm guessing this isn't supported or an undefined situation.

In any case, it was only a query from one of our customers regarding RAPs vs CAPs and it isn't essential, so I'll leave the matter.

Thanks for your help.

Guru Elite

Is that SSID a PSK SSID?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Yes...

wlan ssid-profile "hoppy_ssid"

essid "hoppy"

opmode wpa2-psk-aes

wpa-passphrase e08c4184a65f3d18f40fc6e274c561c533692ef1157f3ecb

!

wlan virtual-ap "hoppy_vap"

aaa-profile "bridge-psk-noradius_aaa"

ssid-profile "hoppy_ssid"

vlan 499

forward-mode bridge

rap-operation always