Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

rap and external dhcp server

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  rap and external dhcp server

Posted Feb 10, 2016 09:10 AM

Hi,

i currently have following setup :

7210 controllers with vlan 100 and 200.  On the controller is a local dhcp server for vlan 200.

We have cap's and some rap's.  The local dhcp serves both clients and ap ip's in vlan 200.

We're currently migrating vlan 200 to vlan 1000.  Vlan 1000 has an external dhcp server.  So far no problem for the cap's.

I notice the rap's in vlan 200 now receive an ap ip from the local dhcp server (rap pool in vpn services>ipsec).  This local dhcp server is going to be offlined when migrating to vlan 1000.  So now the question is what we need to change?  Do we just need to change the virtual ap for vlan 200 from tunneling to forward?

• 2.  RE: rap and external dhcp server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2016 09:13 AM
    RAPs will always receive an inner IP from the VPN pool.

• 3.  RE: rap and external dhcp server

Posted Feb 10, 2016 09:50 AM

**bleep**...  Okay...  Did not mention but i have a third vlan 50 on those controllers which only serves for the controller ip's.  I suspect i could create a local dhcp server for that vlan, create a rap pool on there and that's it.  The vlan is not routable but since we only need rap termination on the controller i reckon this would work?

• 4.  RE: rap and external dhcp server
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 13, 2016 10:16 AM

quite sure you don't need to have the RAP pool match any existing network on the controller. this is about the inner IPs, not the external ones, those still come from where the RAP gets it IP.

• 5.  RE: rap and external dhcp server

Posted Feb 18, 2016 05:08 AM
    @boneyard, this is also what our local Aruba vendor told me. The network should even not exist outside of the Aruba config.