Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

second broadband router on IAP's

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  second broadband router on IAP's

Posted Oct 30, 2017 07:50 AM
      |   view attached

Hi all,

This is my first post, so bare with me, as I get used to the sites features.  My question is - how do I go about adding a second broadband router to the exisitng IAP infrastructure?'

Our office has IAP's that connect to our internal DHCP server and connects users to the internet.  We connect to staff SSID, however we also have a seperate ADSL broadband router with a different providor that is broadcasting a different SSID.

I would like to somehow connect the ADSL broadband router to the exsiting IAP's and create seperate Guest SSID and allow anyone connecting to this guest to get an IP address from that router and access the internet. Is that possible?

I have attached a simple drawing of the setup I would like. Hope that makes sense.

• 2.  RE: second broadband router on IAP's

MVP
    Posted Oct 30, 2017 07:56 AM

I would assume you use different VLANs for the two networks. Set the 2 IAP ports up as access ports for the differing VLANS and setup ip addresses on the two VLAN Interfaces. You can specify the VLAN in the VAPs(Virtual APs) for the SSIDs.

• 3.  RE: second broadband router on IAP's

Posted Oct 30, 2017 08:20 AM

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your reply. so just to clarify that only the staff SSID is setup currently. There is one Vlan setup that gets IP's from the local DHCP server, with the IP helper.  Both the NIC ports are connected, but one is actively blinking away.

So to get the Guest SSID setup, as per my diagram. What would I need to do in steps..

Physically connect the ADSL router to the AP

Setup another Vlan on the internal network

where to setup ports as access ports on the IAP?

to specify the VAP VLAN, is that on the setup page?

Thanks 

• 4.  RE: second broadband router on IAP's

MVP
    Posted Oct 30, 2017 08:28 AM

Are you using the web UI (browser) or CLI (ssh or console) on the IAP? I do not think you need to define a VLAN on the internal network, just on the IAP if you are using both IAP ports like your diagram. Just specify each port to have a different access VLAN.

Do you currently have a VLAN Interface setup on the IAP? The ipaddress on the Interface tells the IAP what the subnet is for that VLAN.

When you have more than one VLAN defined you also need to designate one as the management VLAN, I believe.

• 5.  RE: second broadband router on IAP's

Posted Oct 30, 2017 08:46 AM

Yep, I am using the web UI for the IAP. We have 5 IAP and they are all in the same subnet for the vlan. I don't see anywhere on the IAP, if the VLAN interface is setup.

• 6.  RE: second broadband router on IAP's

MVP
    Posted Oct 30, 2017 08:56 AM

Your diagram only shows 1 IAP. 5 changes the rerquirements.

You have not stated what InstantOS version. Have you read the documentation from support.arubanetworks.com? It exists to help you configure your IAPs.

My besguess is you would need to design your wired network so you could have an 802.1q trunk with both VLANs to each IAP. This design of the wired network is beond the scope of this forum.

• 7.  RE: second broadband router on IAP's

Posted Oct 30, 2017 09:09 AM

Sorry, should have mentioned about the 5 IAP on the diagram, below is the IAP information and I couldn't find anything on the documentation, about the setup that I require.

I would imagine I would have to somehow connect the adsl router to the exisiting internal network and create a new vlan, then have a ip helper set on the port.  So when a computer connects to guest SSID, it will go the via the new vlan that was setup and points to the adsl router port.

Name: Aruba Operating System Software
    Type: 225
    Build Time: 2017-10-06 02:07:01 PDT (build 61785) by p4build
    Version: 6.5.3.3

• 8.  RE: second broadband router on IAP's

MVP
    Posted Oct 30, 2017 09:21 AM

It appears User Guides are not available for InstantOS. At least I do not see them. This Aruba Solutions Exchange solution setting up IAPs with an Aruba switch mentions VLANs. Perhaps it could be of some use.

https://ase.arubanetworks.com/solutions/id/48

• 9.  RE: second broadband router on IAP's

EMPLOYEE

• 10.  RE: second broadband router on IAP's

MVP
    Posted Oct 30, 2017 09:41 AM

Thanks, I somehow missed that. 

The OP is running 6.5.3.x though.

• 11.  RE: second broadband router on IAP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 30, 2017 09:50 AM

That would be here:  https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/EntryId/25960/Default.aspx

I have to admit, it can be difficult to find exactly what you are looking for.