Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

setting up master-redundancy

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  setting up master-redundancy

Posted Jul 15, 2018 12:38 AM

Hello Experts , i need to setup master-redundancy between two aruba 7030 controllers so i have decided the following steps

provide basic config on both the master/standy controllers in terms of IP addressing/VRRP <<<<<<< connect master to the network and bring it up <<<<<<<< connect standy to the network and bring it up <<<<<< let them negotiate their roles as the master controller which was brouight first will become master because i have set the following

vrrp 104
    shutdown
    priority 110
    authentication tr4ff1c
    ip address 10.1.1.1
    description "Preferred Master"
    vlan 104
    no shutdown
    tracking master-up-time 1 add 20

so once the roles are negotiated , i apply licenses on the master contoller and wait untill it syncs up with the standby <<<<< apply user roles config / firewall ACL's and save the config and see if the config syncs up .

apply firewal dpi on the secondary and reboot it and then i am done ?

post that i will bring up the ap's and then user testing etc.

please advise if i am correct ?

• 2.  RE: setting up master-redundancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 15, 2018 01:00 AM

All you need to setup master redundancy between two controllers is to:

- Setup a VRRP between two controllers on their management subnet and make sure the controller you want the global configuration from is the MASTER of that VRRP

- Setup master redundancy and specify the VRRP instance you just created on the MASTER side first. https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/VRRP/Redundancy_Parameters.htm#Configur3  Setup master redundancy on the backup side second.  A few seconds after the backup side is configured, "show switches" will show the backup as the backup master and the backup master will get the global configuration.

You have the option to turn on centralized licensing anywhere in the process, because it is only needed when access points will be terminating on the backup master, really.