Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

slow wireless speeds on ap 105

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  slow wireless speeds on ap 105

Posted Feb 13, 2012 05:48 PM

I have a 650 controller located in my data center, In a branch office we have a ap 105. Between the branch office and the data center we have a 20 mb/s mpls network. When I am connected to the wired network at the branch office I can get the full pipe of bandwidth via speedtest. When I connect to the wireless, I can only get about 2mb/s down and strangley can get anywhere from 2-15mb/s up. I have checked all speeds and duplex settings on the switches. We are not using any qos in our ssid profile, and we are doing tunneling to get the ap to the controller. We are running 6.1.2.6 code. The ap is sitting about 20 feet in the next room from my computer.Full signal and nothing around. Anyone got any suggestions?

• 2.  RE: slow wireless speeds on ap 105

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2012 08:17 PM

How many wlan clients are in your network?  Are they 2.4ghz or 5 ghz?

• 3.  RE: slow wireless speeds on ap 105

Posted Feb 14, 2012 12:53 PM

Right now I am testing with just one client, and I have tried boht 2.4ghz and 5.0 ghz, does not seem to mater which one, I get the same results. Download is slow and upload is what I expect to be normal. Upload is about 3x faster....

• 4.  RE: slow wireless speeds on ap 105

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2012 01:07 PM
    Is the wireless client on the same layer 2 sub net as your wired clients?

• 5.  RE: slow wireless speeds on ap 105

Posted Feb 14, 2012 02:27 PM

Yes ,the ap is on the same vlan as my wired client. Wired client works just fine.

• 6.  RE: slow wireless speeds on ap 105

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2012 02:30 PM

Are you dropping broadcast/multicast?

• 7.  RE: slow wireless speeds on ap 105

Posted Feb 14, 2012 02:31 PM

I am not aware of any dropping of broadcast/multicast.

• 8.  RE: slow wireless speeds on ap 105

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2012 02:35 PM

I would drop broadcast/multicast on the wireless (and enable convert arp requests to unicast). Then try your speedtests again.

• 9.  RE: slow wireless speeds on ap 105

Posted Feb 14, 2012 02:53 PM

Still running the same results. Uploads are still 2-3x faster...

• 10.  RE: slow wireless speeds on ap 105

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2012 03:47 PM

@along5664 wrote:

Still running the same results. Uploads are still 2-3x faster...

Along5664 what did you change and where?

In most networks uploads vs. downloads are asymetrical due to buffering of traffic on the client side vs. buffering of traffic on the AP side.  This also could be happening at your gateway.  

In addition, wireless has much more contention than wired traffic, so the rates will be slower.  Is your client connected on the 5ghz side or the 2.4ghz side?

• 11.  RE: slow wireless speeds on ap 105

Posted Feb 14, 2012 04:02 PM

I have tried both 2.4 and 5.0ghz. note that there is only one wireless client on this ap as we are testing before we deploy into branch office. I do understand that wired will be faster, but I am only getting about 3-4mb/s on downloads and am getting between 12-15mb/s on uploads. I have tried several different laptops and devices and get the same results. The network this is using has only this one ap on it and one wired client, my computer, so not congested at all.

• 12.  RE: slow wireless speeds on ap 105

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2012 04:05 PM

EDIT:

How is the controller connected to the network?  Did the controller port negotiate to the proper speed and duplex?  How about the access point and its own network port.  Do the network ports show any errors?

Did you enable dropping broadcasts on the Virtual AP like was suggested before?

• 13.  RE: slow wireless speeds on ap 105

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2012 03:00 PM
    Check the TX power on the AP. I've seen this before, but I can't remember what caused it.

Also, do a show ap debug radio-stats ap-name someAP radio 0 advanced | include Busy

Run that on radio 1 as well.

• 14.  RE: slow wireless speeds on ap 105

Posted Jun 02, 2012 01:06 AM

Are you still searching for a solution to this issue?

I saw your post and I just had to register as I might be able to help.

• 15.  RE: slow wireless speeds on ap 105

Posted Jun 02, 2012 01:32 AM

Hi JP,

Thanks for registering on the forums... hope you find them helpful.

Please drop me an email on Monday and we can sync up to discuss the MPLS network configuration issues that were at the root of causing your speed issues earlier today.       I'll send you an email off-list and we can find a time that works for you.

Thx!   

Jason

• 16.  RE: slow wireless speeds on ap 105

Posted Jul 15, 2012 09:53 AM

Another test that you could do it's to configure the traffic in split tunnel - through the tunnel you keep the DNS/Portal and any other type of traffic that needs to reach the Data Center - the rest put it to go through the local ISP line - and run the test again.'

Another question ... could you tell us the Download and Upload speeds at the Data center and to the remote branch ?

• 17.  RE: slow wireless speeds on ap 105

Posted Oct 22, 2012 06:00 PM

We are implementing a new redesigned Aruba network and are also experiencing this issue.  We have older AP61 but are running 6.1.3.3 Aruba OS.

If our wireless clients connect to a outside "Linksys" AP they get full network bandwidth but if they connect to our SSIDs they get average of 1 Mb down / 9 Mb up.

We have multiple ISPs:

1)    9 Mb down / 9 Mb up

2)    20 Mb down / 6 Mb up

2)    200 Mb down / 200 Mb up

The clients get the same speed on any of the SSIDs and at this point we only have (1) AP connected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ....

• 18.  RE: slow wireless speeds on ap 105

Posted Oct 22, 2012 07:41 PM

Are you dong those test with internet testers? or you are doing TFTP or FTP transfers inside the WLAN(no internet BW test...)

If you are using internet tester i advice you not to test with that... test with a TFPT or FTP transfer and check out the Speed

Also as Collin said there could be many factors for it... we would be guessing we would need more imformation...

• 19.  RE: slow wireless speeds on ap 105

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2012 06:06 PM
    Thewuzzles,

There are quite a few factors that affect speed. If you open a tac case, they can go through your config and topology and advise you. We would only be guessing here...