Wireless Access

Contributor II

snmpset wlanAPRadioChannel/wlanAPRadioHTChannel

Hi-

Doing a test where we'd like to have ARM in Maintain mode and statically set channel on a number of APs. (Yes. I know.)

Per the MIB, 

SNMP MAX-ACCESS for both
-wlanAPRadioChannel (and)
-wlanAPRadioHTChannel
is READ-WRITE

So I can issue an snmpset without an error to a string value of "36E", but it doesn't actually set the value.

A few inquiries:

1) Are these values supposed to be RW, and/or is not actually being able to set them related to software versioning or AP? Running 6.5.0.1 with an AP-325.
2) Is there a better way than [channel specific reg domains (or) channel specific rf-profile] AND [AP specific config] to statically set channels on a number of APs? I'm looking for a scriptable thing; either SNMP or CLI. An ideal would be something like the SNMP values above or the IAP "a-channel 36E 5" equivalent.

It seems like I must be missing something; there has to be a simple way to one-time assign a channel to an AP. Right?

[Yes. I know. Avoid static channel assignments. Let ARM handle Channel/Power. I am trying to do something specific. Please understand that.]

Thanks in advance.
Kevin

Kevin Schoenfeld

Guru Elite

Re: snmpset wlanAPRadioChannel/wlanAPRadioHTChannel

SNMP is read only in ArubaOS and it has always been.  You cannot write to SNMP.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Guru Elite

Sorry:

#2,  To script things, you should

- create an ARM profile that has ARM set to disable.  If the radio profile has an arm profile attached with arm disabled, the AP would switch to the channel of the radio profile and NOT use ARM.

- create a radio profile with a channel and assign that ARM profile to it.

- Assign that radio profile to an AP, using an AP-Specific profile:

config t

rf arm-profile "disabled"
  assignment "disable"

!

rf dot11a-radio-profile "channel36"
  channel 36

arm-profile "disabled"

!

ap-name "Office-225"
  dot11a-radio-profile "channel36"

After that you can set other APs to channel 36, by doing this:

config t

ap-name "Library-225

dot11a-radio-profile "channel36"

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor II

Colin-

Thanks for response.

In regards to SNMP: Does that make the values in the MIB (specifically aruba-wlan.my) an error? :

<snip>

wlanAPRadioHTChannel OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX DisplayString
MAX-ACCESS read-write
STATUS current
DESCRIPTION
"
A display string indicating the current channel. If wlanAPRadioHTExtChannel
is set to 'above' or 'below', then the channel number will be appended
with '+' or '-' respectively.

</snip>

In regards to scripting, yes, I was looking for a one-liner; one that doesn't depend on [channel specific rf-profile] AND [ap specific profile] (as mentioned in my question).  If I were to create rf-profiles for each of my channels, I am left without the ability to vary the tx-power, without creating an additional rf-profile for each channel/power level I might like.

This is one of those moments where (unless I'm missing it and there's a simpler way to do it) it seems like the Aruba OS is in the way of a simple operation.   [Yes. I know I'm not using ARM.]  But I simply want to set the channel/power, on what is ostensibly a Linux host with a pair of Atheros cards in it... And the command exists on the Instant OS.  Why wouldn't it exist on the AOS versions?

Kevin Schoenfeld

Guru Elite

It would be an error if it said the mib was read/write, because it is not.

ArubaOS was built on the principle of attempting to solve the complexity of having to set static channels and power, so there is no specific construct to make that easy.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: