Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Re: surface device disconnection issues

@philliplyle are you referring to device stability issues on other devices beside the Surface Pro or specifically the Surface Pro models?

@wrote:

Separately, although it may or may not help you, we've heard there's another release coming in the next week or two (delayed, apparently) that is supposed to address some remaining stability issues we've been seeing (6.5.4.5).  Not sure if it will help you specifically, but you may want to wait and see what's in the release.

Occasional Contributor II

@ab_Unet -

How can you differentiate an issue with a surface versus non-surface specific items?  I don't have a homogenous environment, so it's not possible to know when a Surface user has an issue, it's because of this bug or that bug, when the symptoms are similar.

I'm also skeptical that this was a Surface-only issue.   Is the wireless chipset in the Surface so unique that the bugs would only be recreated on that platform?  Seems unlikely, given the huge variety of devices available on the market.

What I do know, is that we had a long-running problem with similar symptoms across a lot of device platforms, and supposedly the final fixes are coming this week.  We will see.

Contributor II

For us, we have 3 fairly unique sets of devices connecting to our wireless network; MACs, HP Elitebook laptops and Surface Pro/Books.

From Day One (go live was mid 2017) the MACs have been solid and given us no issues with disconnects. Early on we had an issue with a few HP devices (5 at most), but most of those impacted were running quite old device drivers (2014), a driver upgrade resolved those issues.

Over that time, its the Surface devices (all running the Marvell AC Wireless card) which have given us the issues with the random disconnects. We have tried a multitude of device driver versions, along with controller changes to try and resolve their connectivity issues, but to no avail so far. I'll be quite the happy boy if the new releases resolve our Surface issues.

Highlighted

Hi Philliplyle,

If you looked at my original post (first one) - you would see the below key information when I was describing the issue.

"These issues first occurred after we have replaced our wireless infrastructure with IAP-315's and IAP-325's approximately two months ago.

We did not experience this issue using the HP Procurve equipment.

We have over 1100 devices connected at any time during the day concurrently across 80+ IAPs, where 98% of these all use the Intel 7260 AC wireless network card. None of these Intel-based clients display the issue. My thoughts would be that this confirms that there is nothing wrong with our wireless infrastructure."

In summary, the issue was identified by a level 3 TAC engineer and a firmware developer who works on the IAP code, we then implemented a workaround by disabling the RX-AMPDU feature (needs to be done from the IAP "controller" for the SSID) and it was resolved in a later update which was 6.5.4.2.

We ran this firmware for two weeks with the RX-ampdu feature turned back on, then I reported back that this is confirmed as a solution which is why it was marked as such for the IAP issue that affects IAP-315/IAP-325 models.

We were running about 60 SurfaceBook (1st Gen) and 1150 Dell, 100 HP laptops in that same testing period.

My suggestion would be to upgrade to the latest version of Windows, ensure all the Surface firmware + driver packs are installed, set up a device in the office, disable any power setting policies (MS recommend that you do not use GPO to manage power settings/plans on Surface devices), plug into power and then fire up a ping test to see if it drops out.

Once it drops out - do a loopback ping test to verify that the TCP/IP stack is still ok, then use another computer to ping the local IP of the IAP its attached too.

Then open a TAC case. :)

Cheers,

Aaron

You might be responding to the wrong person, Aaron.  I'm simply informing those who may have had issues that additional fixes are coming soon.  Separately, I noticed that it was never clarified what exactly was the issue with the Surface that made it unique from every other device.  Is the Marvel chipset only found on the Surface?   I have about 100 different device manufacturers on my 1500+ AP deployment, so it's a bit different situation.   And yes, we've already worked with TAC on this, and had their ACE team onsite, and they thought the same Surface fixes would help with our other issues.

In any case, I expect the 6.4.5.5 release to  have some specific hardware fixes for the AP-315 and AP-325 line specifically, which may or may not fix issues that cause similar symptoms.  Some were talking about version releases and still having issues, so I'm simply letting everyone know to be on the lookout for the next release.  Things have gotten a lot better with the 6.5.4.2-4 releases for us, but we're hoping the next one will contain the final batch of fixes.

@phil

I had also opened a support case with Microsoft which wasn't too helpful.

This isn't an official explanation. But From what I understand, the MS driver or combo of the Marvel chipset they use + the MS implemented driver was doing something it "shouldn't do", which normally doesn't affect wireless vendors... however, the Aruba APs were also not "ignoring" whatever the issue was from the MS surface devices. Turning off that RX feature was telling the Aruba APs to ignore the SB devices essentially. 

I would try to replicate the same test setup as I mentioned before to verify this is the same issue I originally started this post with... just to make sure its the same one.

I have also read some issues with random disconnects in Windows 1703/1709 builds due to Windows patch updates... might not be relevant but deff something I considered when investigating the issue.

Cheers,

Aaron

The 6.5.4.5 release came out..over 56 described bug fixes and even more internal cases.  Something for everyone, it seems.

Occasional Contributor I

Has any group been able to upgrade firmware to 6.5.4.5. And has it resolved your respective bugs / issues?

I would like to gather feedback.

Thanks.

Occasional Contributor I

The question is. Where do we find the v6.5.4.5?

Thanks

Contributor II

@ab_Unet We're planning to upgrade our controllers on Tuesday evening of next week. We're going to 6.5.4.5, I think we'll know in a couple of days whether the upgrade has resolved our Surface issues. Will feed back accordingly.

@mathla That Aruba OS is available via the normal methods - support.arubanetwork.com - In the Downloads sections.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: