Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor I

Re: surface device disconnection issues

AaronIt84 wrote:

During the issue:

• Clients will lose network connectivity but never drop the actual wireless connection once issued occurred (windows still has the wireless connection active/connected state)
  • Clients could still ping loopback address successfully
  • Clients could *not* ping any other IP addresses on network

Aaron,

Bizarre question - but if you ping the default gateway or another IP Address from one of the affected clients during the issue - do you see any of those pings/packets via show datapath session table or packet-capture? I ran into a very bizarre issue last week where an older Windows 10 (Version 1703) netbook was connected, could ping the loopback address, but couldn't reach anything else from the client's perspective.

During the datapath session/packet capture - I could see my affected clients pings reaching my wired computer, my wired computer responding, and those packets being sent to the netbook. (I wasn't able to do a packet-capture on the netbook at the time due to lack of admin rights). The issue resolve itself once I roamed to another Access Point. Extremely unusual behavior.

Aruba Employee

I have read multiple reports of multiple symptoms, some reporting a solution or improvement with various steps

- driver updates

- disable power saving on the device

Focusing on symptoms where the device loses association, sometimes re-associates, and sometimes not.  if one does not look carefully, one might not notice the device actually disconnected from the AP.

From the symptoms reported by a large number of users, in multiple threads and other forums, would be interesting to know the following:

Assumptions:

the Surface Pro has the latest drivers.

The surface Pro has power saving disabled, or this has been eliminated as a possible cause.

when user-debug is enabled for the Surface Pro device, do we see the client send a DEAUTH ?

Does disabling VHT and HT solve the issue ? If yes, we're on the right thread.

If you have 6.5.4.0 running, look at the ht-ssid-profile and disable RX-AMPDU (new parameter added in 6.5.4.0)

Very curious to know the results.

Thanks

Shawn Adams
Aruba Networks Customer Advocacy
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Shawn,

Through the TAC ticket that we raised previously, TAC/Engineering team have told us to disable RX-AMPDU for the SSID as a possible workaround.

I can confirm that this week we have had no reports from our Surface device pilot users regarding wireless disconnections.

Tentatively, I think it may be safe to assume the “workaround” has been successful although I will still be monitoring this issue to confirm and report back.

For anyone else who wants to test:

From the virtual controller, use putty to connect and then run the below for each SSID:

IAP(config) # wlan ssid-profile test

IAP(SSID Profile "test") # rx-ampdu-agg-disable 

IAP (SSID Profile "test") # exit

IAP (config) # exit

IAP# commit apply 

committing configuration...

configuration committed.

Cheers,

Aaron

Aruba Employee

Hi All,

In addition to Aaron's comment, the rx-ampdu can be disabled only

from 6.5.4.x IAP releases.

New Contributor

We are also facing the same issue with Surface Pro here at Viacom18 India. It would be great if some valable next steps are shared here for us to act upon.

Thanks,

Sajesh

Guru Elite

I believe an issue has been identified.  Watch this space and I will post in this thread when the fix is in a production build.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Thanks for the update - I wasn't aware a fix was in flight within Aruba. I'm assuming this will be released as part of a code upgrade for the WLCs?

Guru Elite

If it is a fix, yes it would.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Hi, danderson79 & sajesh_s,

Were you able to try the workaround I posted previously?

We have had success with this at our site after turning off this feature on our IAPs.

Cheers,

Aaron

New Contributor

We hit a similar issue in an environment with 7220 controller running 6.4.4.15 and AP325.

It seems that rx-ampdu-agg-disable is for IAP. Is there any similar workaround for our environment?

@Colin - you mentioned that the fix is in flight, does it include AOS 6.4 series?

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: