Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor I

Re: surface device disconnection issues

Same issue here. We have AP-325's with a 7010 controller running 6.5.3.3 and the issues are continual with Surface Pro 3 and 4's. We are also a 5GHz only environment. 

I took a SP4 into the Microsoft store after updating our controller to 6.5.3.3 and still experiencing these issues. I had the MS Tech reimage the SP4 and even with a clean image and the latest driver updates from MS we are still having issues with connectivity on the SP4. 

The issues are; 

• Sometimes the SP3 or 4 will not connect to the dot1X SSID. 
  • If connected it will lose connection throughout the day and the only fix is to restart the WLAN adapter or reboot. 
  • Sometimes the connection is there but the icon shows a yellow flag and access to the network is nonfunctional. The status on the client shows APIPA address but correct DNS and no gateway. 
  • Often the user reports they are using a website and they lose access to the site. The Wi-Fi shows connected but they can no longer browse that or other websites. Restarting the WLAN adapter resolves the issue (sometimes). 
  • If the SP goes to sleep and you have to relogin the Wi-Fi does not automatically reconnect to the dot1X SSID. The only way to reconnect is to go to the connection and click the SSID and choose connect. 
  • The user table in the controller shows the device connected. It shows it aging and having an IP even thought the device does not have an IP. The IP does not respond to a PING. 

The SP 3 and 4's come with a Marvell Avastar AC adapter and are running driver version 15.68.9114.29.

I have opened TAC case # 5324278164 and they have asked me for various logs and packet captures when the issue(s) occurs again which I will provide them.  

We have other laptops in the office; Dell Latitudes with Intel 7265 NICs, Macbooks and a Lenovo Yoga with an Intel 8265 NIC and none of them report any of these issues. 

Michael McNamee
Sr. Network Engineer - SecurEdge Networks
ACMP / ACDX / AWMP

http://www.securedgenetworks.com/secure-edge-networks-blog/
Occasional Contributor II

Hi mmcnamee,

Forgive my ignorance as i am not using a controller (IAP here) but have you tried to disable the RX-AMPDU feature for each SSID?

i.e.

IAP(config) # wlan ssid-profile test

IAP(SSID Profile "test") # rx-ampdu-agg-disable 

IAP (SSID Profile "test") # exit

IAP (config) # exit

IAP# commit apply 

This was a confirmed workaround for us and may help confirm it's the *same* issue but isn't patched out in the ArubaOS (controller).

Cheers,

Aaron

New Contributor

I'm not seeig confirmation from the field that the fix actually had a positive impact on the issue.  Maybe no news is good news???  We are currently experiencing similar issues to those articulated, however we are a mixed environment of sites with Cisco Autonomous APs and Aruba 315's.  We had been getting reports from both types of sites, but have been focused on resolving the Aruba sites.  We recently upgraded to 6.5.4.2, but I haven't heard from my users either to see if this has resolved the issue.  I'm circling back around to them now.  We use Surface Pro4's as our primary workstation.

New Contributor

I have just been reading this thread, it's now 1 month since last post.  I have noticed the same issue in our wireless network.  I have upgrade our IAPs to 6.5.4.3 but I cannot apply the "disable RX-AMPDU" line to the CLI as our IAPs are manged with Airwave.  I have not been able to see a place in Airwave to set this parameter.

Anyone got any ideas?  Is the a way to enter CLI commands and push them out via Airwave.  Do I still need to enter these commands to get the fix?

IAP(config) # wlan ssid-profile test

IAP(SSID Profile "test") # rx-ampdu-agg-disable

IAP (SSID Profile "test") # exit

IAP (config) # exit

IAP# commit apply

Contributor II

Hi Remsat - I cant give any feedback on the issues you're experiencing with regards making the IAP update.

With regards an update on the original case, we originally upgraded our controllers from 6.4.4.11 to 6.4.4.16 to try and resolve the connectivity drops with Surface devices. We are unfortunately still seeing drops for client Surface Pro/Book devices. We have an ongoing case with Aruba TAC to try and resolve.

Occasional Contributor I

I have reports of several Microsoft Surface with Marvell Avastar AC chipsets.

Currently my environment is running 6.5.3.4, previously 6.5.3.3 (a few weeks ago). The issue persists. 

Is there any confirmation that the issue is resolved 6.5.4.3 track?

Thanks.

MVP

What are the exact symptoms seen with 6.5.3.4 in production ?

6.4.4.17 and 6.5.4.2 contained a fix for a every specific condition that is likely to affect Surface devices. We have several confirmations that this has alleviated the symptoms as expected.

6.5.3.4 contains several additional MPDU related fixes that could affect surface devices. We have 2 reports of these fixes

having alleviated problems reported to have affected surface devices.

Client driver versions play a critical role here.

I'd suggest opening  a TAC case to pursue detailed troubleshooting.

Shawn Adams
Aruba Networks Customer Advocacy
Occasional Contributor I

Shawn,

Thank you for the quick response. 

So far the reports are from Microsoft Surface devices (Pro, Laptop, Pro 4, Surface Book) with the Marvell Avastar Wireless-AC chipsets. 

Previously we ran code version 6.5.3.3. The update was performed late December 2017 to 6.5.3.4.

However, there are still complaints for the surface. 

Based on your comments this was fixed in 6.5.3.4 or there were 2 reports of issues? 

Thanks

Contributor II

Hi Shawn,

Quick question on the Marvell AC driver - Which version have Aruba found the most stable during the investigative work that you've been doing on the Surface connectivity issues?

Thanks,

Dan

Occasional Contributor II

Separately, although it may or may not help you, we've heard there's another release coming in the next week or two (delayed, apparently) that is supposed to address some remaining stability issues we've been seeing (6.5.4.5).  Not sure if it will help you specifically, but you may want to wait and see what's in the release.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: