Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

tagging vlans behind RAPs

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  tagging vlans behind RAPs

Posted Jan 09, 2013 09:13 AM

What is the correct way to tag a vlan behind a RAP running multiple VLANs? 

is there a way to do it with forward mode set to split-tunnling?

Running AOS 6.1.3.4

• 2.  RE: tagging vlans behind RAPs

Posted Jan 09, 2013 09:43 AM

Are you wanting your wireless traffic to be bridged to the local vlans and not tunnelled to the controller?

• 3.  RE: tagging vlans behind RAPs

Posted Jan 09, 2013 09:50 AM

Sorry i didn't specify this before, I want wired traffic for VOIP phones tagged back to the controller through a RAP.

• 4.  RE: tagging vlans behind RAPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 09, 2013 10:20 AM

Take a look at the thread here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Remote-Networking/Avaya-Wired-Phone-Not-Connecting-on-RAP-2-eth1/m-p/7807/highlight/true#M443 for a config.

Also, please look at the Voice Support for Fixed Telecommuter Deployments VRD on the page here http://www.arubanetworks.com/technology/reference-design-guides/ for more information.

• 5.  RE: tagging vlans behind RAPs

Posted Jan 09, 2013 10:22 AM
      |   view attached

For wired access, try this (exmple for VLAN 1000)

• 6.  RE: tagging vlans behind RAPs

Posted Jan 09, 2013 10:28 AM

You will need to create a wired AP profile and a AP wired port profile.  This is where you will set the port on the RAP to be trunked or access and which VLAN(s) that port will be in.  You will then need to bind those profiles to the AP system profile for the group the RAPs are in.

• 7.  RE: tagging vlans behind RAPs

Posted Jan 09, 2013 11:05 AM

thanks for all the responses folks.

I have ports e0 and e1 setup as followed ( 100 is data vlan, 110 is voice.):

ap wired-ap-profile "default"
       wired-ap-enable
       forward-mode split-tunnel
       switchport mode trunk
       switchport trunk native vlan 100
       switchport trunk allowed vlan 100,110

does this look right?

both my e0 and e1 interfaces as setup like this. Does it matter how my e0 port is setup, or just e1?

• 8.  RE: tagging vlans behind RAPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 09, 2013 11:24 AM
    My advice is to get it working using regular tunnel first.

Split tunnel on wired requires you to make the port untrusted, and have the initial role of the aaa profile assigned have the split tunneling rules. First make sure pure tunnel works trusted, because it is a preliminary step.

• 9.  RE: tagging vlans behind RAPs

Posted Jan 09, 2013 02:44 PM

Ok, I will try in tunneled mode first.

Reading ArubaOS6.1user guide it talks about how to tag ports when the forward mode is set to bridge, but what about when the forward mode is set to tunnel or split-tunnel? Does what is specified below out of the User Guide only apply when the forward mode is set to bridge? or not?

"Configure bridging on the Ethernet port
    Use the following procedure to configure bridging on the Ethernet port via the WebUI.
    1. Navigate to the Configuration > Wireless > AP Configuration > AP Group window.
    2. Click the Edit button by the AP group name with the wired ap profile you want to edit.
    3. Under the Profiles list, expand the AP menu, then select Wired AP profile. The settings for the
    currently selected wired AP profile appear.
    You can use a different wired AP profile by selecting a profile from the Wired AP profile drop-down
    list.
    4. Under Profile Details, do the following:
    a. Select the Wired AP enable check box. This option is not selected by default.
    b. From the Forward mode drop-down list, select bridge.
    c. Optionally, from the Switchport mode drop-down list, select access or trunk. These options only
    apply to bridge mode configurations.
     Access mode forwards untagged packets received on the port to the controller and they appear on
    the configured access mode VLAN. Tagged packets are dropped. All packets received from the
    controller and sent via this port are untagged. Define the access mode VLAN in the Access mode
    VLAN field.
     Trunk mode contains a list of allowed VLANs. Any packet received on the port that is tagged with
    an allowed VLAN is forwarded to the controller. Untagged packets are forwarded to the controller
    on the configured Native VLAN. Packets received from the controller and sent out the port remain
    tagged unless the tag value in the packet is the Native VLAN, in which case the tag is removed.
    Define the Native VLAN in the Trunk mode native VLAN field and the other allowed VLANs in
    the Trunk mode allowed VLANs field.
    d. Optionally, select Trusted to configure this as a trusted port.
    5. Click Apply."