Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

Hello, Today I started seeing many messages that looked like: 

Feb 10 11:09:15 :400193:  <WARN> |stm|  Dropping associaton request from <Client MAC>: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

Any thoughts on this?

Guru Elite

Re: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

What version of code?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Guru Elite

Please open a TAC case so that they can get to the bottom of this.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Got one going. I'll update as it progresses. Thanks for the look.

Regular Contributor I

We're seeing the same thing here running 5.0.3.1. Please post more if you learn more. Thanks!

Feb 14 13:14:17  stm[1711]: <400193> <WARN> |stm|  Dropping associaton request from <client MAC>: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding
Feb 14 13:14:17  stm[1711]: <400193> <WARN> |stm|  Dropping associaton request from <client MAC>: too many STM_STA_MESSAGE outstanding

MIke DIckson

Umass Amherst

Guru Elite

mldickson wrote:

We're seeing the same thing here running 5.0.3.1. Please post more if you learn more. Thanks!

MIke DIckson

Umass Amherst

MDickson, please open a TAC case, as well.

Colin Joseph

Here is what I have learned:

1. The issue follows the access points meaning when I terminate the access points on a different controller (L2 stays the same) the issue shows up on the new controller.

2. It does not appear to affect all users. Rondomly sampling associations in an AP group shows about 20% affected.

3. Aruba TAC says one other customer is affected. After one week I have no other information from TAC.

Aruba Employee

Hi Scott,

I am not sure whether the TAC engineering working with you informed this or not but this is what I read on the case comments: "When there is a disturbance on the wireless network and clients start associating and disassociating quickly, the large number of association requests received could cause the stm notification queue to get full for very short times. During such times, any 'assoc req' received will get dropped and a log like the one in question get fired. However, such event is not serious, as the client wireless driver will resend another association request in a matter of milliseconds."

If you have more questions, I would recommend going through the same TAC engineer, as your ticket is already open.

Thanks

That's more info then I've gotten in a week of asking the TAC engineer for an update. Thank you! On the wireless side I agree it does not seem to be a big issue for the clients. We have logged thousands of these over a few minutes, more then once a day. We also believe that whatever is causing these events is having a negative impact on our DHCP infrastructure, at least it looks that way from a timing perspective, which is why I am trying to chase down the root cause of these events. What you are saying makes sense to me, the queue gets backed up and these events are a symptom of that back up but the queue eventually sorts itself out and the client retries. Any idea what kind of disturbance could do that or where I should look to try and track it down? Again, thanks for your input and the update!

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: