Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

transferring configuration within controllers

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  transferring configuration within controllers

Posted Jun 03, 2017 09:15 AM

Hello experts ,  at one of my sites the 7010 controllers are getting replaced by 7030.  since the new 7030 controllers would have to have the same configuration as the existing 7010, can i just a "encrypt disable" and the export the configuration from both the controllers via tftp and then apply that on the new 7030 ?

do both the controllers (7010 and 7030 have to have the same software version as well ?

please also let me know if any other information to be kept in mind while transferring the configuration.

• 2.  RE: transferring configuration within controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 03, 2017 10:32 AM

You don't need to encrypt disable.  You can copy the running configuration from one controller to a host via tftp, etc.  You then need to:

- Make sure the target controller is on the same major version of code:

(6.x.y.z) where the 6 and the x would be the same.

- Make sure that the target controller is already licensed when you copy the config file and boot from it, otherwise any commands that are tied to a license will be silently stripped from the config.

Procedure:

- copy running config from source controller to a tftp server

- copy running config from tftp server to the flash of the target controller

- set the boot config to be that file

- DO NOT type "write mem" or save configuration before you reboot

- Reboot target controller and DO NOT save the configuration

- Make sure you have a console cable ready, because if it is not the same model of controller, the port configuration will not exist, and you will not have ip connectivity to that controller until you fix the port config via the console.

• 3.  RE: transferring configuration within controllers

Posted Jun 03, 2017 12:42 PM
    if i dont do ecnrypt disable then what about the shared secrets of the radius /clearpass servers and also the vrrp keys that i have configured between the existing master-standby controllers ?

#AirheadsMobile

• 4.  RE: transferring configuration within controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 03, 2017 12:52 PM
    They will be preserved. AFAIK. Encrypt disable is only only when you want to copy and paste and preserve the secrets through the copy/paste in a terminal. Copying the config via TFTP should work just fine.

Copy from the terminal and paste in the terminal typically does not work, because it merges the configuration with the target controller instead of completely replacing it. Copying via TFTP is the best way to go.

• 5.  RE: transferring configuration within controllers

Posted Jun 03, 2017 12:55 PM
    thanks very much , if possible cud u share the commands for copying config to the tftp along with setting boot on the target controller ?

#AirheadsMobile

• 6.  RE: transferring configuration within controllers
    Best Answer

• 7.  RE: transferring configuration within controllers

Posted Jun 03, 2017 12:55 PM
    thanks very much , if possible cud u share the commands for copying config to the tftp along with setting boot on the target controller ?

#AirheadsMobile