Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

troubleshooting poor performance

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  troubleshooting poor performance

Posted Jun 19, 2014 08:11 AM

At a site (one of 50), they have been complaining of poor speed through put. They have AP105s, local bridge SSID (no BC/MC boxes ticked!) and a "global" SSID which is tunneled, they only use the bridge. (latest 6.3 code)

We use band steering, client match and Spec LB. Should all be fairly standard.

I believe I should pick a client which is running slowly and debug it, right? What else should I be looking at?  None of the APs show up in the monitoring tab as having a problem. It might be their local LAN or client side issues i.e. drivers. But, I'd like to get stuck into some CLI as soon as I get there. I don't think they have 11a cards in their dells which is a shame. Is there anything I can run against the APs to see if they are having a hard time with interferance or co-channel? Should I create another AP profile that will enable ALL channels and see if that helps? Its in a fairly normal residential area, its a small-ish school in a large house.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: troubleshooting poor performance

Posted Jun 20, 2014 09:51 AM

Anyone?

• 3.  RE: troubleshooting poor performance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 20, 2014 11:39 AM

@m0bov wrote:

At a site (one of 50), they have been complaining of poor speed through put. They have AP105s, local bridge SSID (no BC/MC boxes ticked!) and a "global" SSID which is tunneled, they only use the bridge. (latest 6.3 code)

We use band steering, client match and Spec LB. Should all be fairly standard.

I believe I should pick a client which is running slowly and debug it, right? What else should I be looking at?  None of the APs show up in the monitoring tab as having a problem. It might be their local LAN or client side issues i.e. drivers. But, I'd like to get stuck into some CLI as soon as I get there. I don't think they have 11a cards in their dells which is a shame. Is there anything I can run against the APs to see if they are having a hard time with interferance or co-channel? Should I create another AP profile that will enable ALL channels and see if that helps? Its in a fairly normal residential area, its a small-ish school in a large house.

Thanks.

You should start by looking at the dashboard and look at Channel Quality, Noise Floor, Channel Busy and Interference for those access points...

• 4.  RE: troubleshooting poor performance

Posted Jun 20, 2014 12:30 PM

First eliminate your wired network and wan links as a source.

Once that is solid, Start at layer one and work you way up.

In this case layer one is the air. 

Look for interference via the AP's monitoring capabilities. There are also some good handhelds for this like Fluke's AirCheck.

Could you have an AP in the wrong group? That caused me some headaches recently. 

Finally look at your design. Are you subnets sized according to best practices? Do you have separate wireless VLAN's for each site?