Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

vlan derivation - any solution left?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  vlan derivation - any solution left?

MVP
    Posted Jul 25, 2014 09:20 AM

Breaking my head over this.. did I finaly get something I cannot solve with Aruba products?

We have a need to do machine and user authentication on an 802.1X SSID.

The problem is however is that we need to give different vlans for machine-only, user-only and full-auth'ed clients using MS NPS.

Apparently 6.3 changed things up a bit and I can no longer return aruba-user-vlan vsa for user-only and/or machine-only.

Also user-role based vlans are not possible (anymore?). 

• Role Based VLANs from the intermediate Machine Roles “Machine Authentication: Default Machine Role” and “User Authentication: Default User Role” will not be honored. The only state where derivation of any type is honored for the client is when it passes both Machine-auth && user-dot1x auth.

So am I right in thinking Aruba no longer has a solution to give different vlans for machine-only or user-only authenticated users? Or has anyone here have an idea how to circumvent this?

• 2.  RE: vlan derivation - any solution left?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2014 09:22 AM
    My only contribution is that this is possible with ClearPass because the user/machine auth piece is offloaded.

• 3.  RE: vlan derivation - any solution left?

MVP
    Posted Jul 25, 2014 09:27 AM

Unfortunately it isn't. Even with clearpass this is no longer possible.

Clearpass is a fix for the full-auth clients but for that 802.1X Authentication Default Role I can still use the role based vlans. Just the intermediate machine and/or user roles I can no longer use role based vlans and/or vsa's!

• 4.  RE: vlan derivation - any solution left?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2014 09:29 AM
    I have this configured with ClearPass without any issues.

• 5.  RE: vlan derivation - any solution left?

MVP
    Posted Jul 25, 2014 09:58 AM

mmm,  now that you mention it that does seem logical since with clearpass you wouldn't enforce machine auth on the controller and those machine -auth and user-auth roles don't come in to play.

Thanks!

• 6.  RE: vlan derivation - any solution left?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2014 10:00 AM
    Exactly. Turning off enfore machine auth adds a lot of flexibility on the ClearPass side using the built-in [User Authenticated] and [Machine Authenticated] role contexts.