Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

welcome page when using cpg

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  welcome page when using cpg

Posted Oct 20, 2012 02:05 AM
    The welcome page on layer 3 authentication seems to behave very differently when using cpg, opposed to the native captive portal. Clearing the stations Web cache also seems significant in the operation of the welcome page. Does anyone have any specifics on how the welcome page on layer 3 authentication derives the original intended Web page target requested prior to captive portal authentication, after the stain had authenticated?

• 2.  RE: welcome page when using cpg

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 20, 2012 08:56 AM

@soapdish wrote:
    The welcome page on layer 3 authentication seems to behave very differently when using cpg, opposed to the native captive portal. Clearing the stations Web cache also seems significant in the operation of the welcome page. Does anyone have any specifics on how the welcome page on layer 3 authentication derives the original intended Web page target requested prior to captive portal authentication, after the stain had authenticated?

The original client requested page is pushed as an argument parameter when doing captive portal.  On the controller in the Captive Portal authentication profile you have a choice to have the client go to the original page after requesting, OR to hardcode an actual Welcome page you want the client to see after.  In CPG in the options for the guest page, you can also do this.

• 3.  RE: welcome page when using cpg

Posted Oct 20, 2012 10:59 AM
    I have tried this with inconsistencies in behaviour. At the time I 'hard coded'it in as you suggested, more as a workaround of sorts. Do you know where the information for the argument is derived? I do not recall seeing it in the url used in the redirect, but if it is why does clearing the client web cache influence is behavior? I can't make sense of it.

• 4.  RE: welcome page when using cpg

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 20, 2012 12:43 PM

The controller's captive portal authentication profile's welcome page parameter can override anything if an external page is set.  This is true if you are using the controller alone, OR cpg with the controller.

Leaving the captive portal authentication profile to the defaults will allow cpg to change the behavior.

• 5.  RE: welcome page when using cpg

Posted Oct 21, 2012 01:45 AM
    Where does it get the argument parameter?

• 6.  RE: welcome page when using cpg

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 21, 2012 08:00 AM

It is always sent when the client first opens the browser.  Take a look at the URL when the browser is first opened.