Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

windows 7 and Belkin usb wifi adapter not getting dhcp address

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  windows 7 and Belkin usb wifi adapter not getting dhcp address

Posted Aug 22, 2014 10:38 AM

I have a windows 7 desktop and we put a Belkin Dual Band USB wifi adapter in it. I can see the SSID's but when I attach the desktop never grabs an address. If I manually assign one to it then it works fine on the wireless. Its a PSK environment and I have tried "WPA/tkip or aes" as well as "WPA2/tkip or aes"...same results. There are not a lot of settings in Win7 on that adapter to change and I cant find a combination 

any ideas?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: windows 7 and Belkin usb wifi adapter not getting dhcp address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2014 11:22 AM

Does any device connect to that SSID successfully?

• 3.  RE: windows 7 and Belkin usb wifi adapter not getting dhcp address

Posted Aug 22, 2014 12:26 PM

@cjoseph wrote:

Does any device connect to that SSID successfully?

yes all others do, its the only device that wont....well except for a HP wireless printer, couldnt get it to connect too!

• 4.  RE: windows 7 and Belkin usb wifi adapter not getting dhcp address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2014 12:27 PM

What is the driver date?  Is there an update?  turn on user debugging and try to get the output of "show auth-tracebuf" for that mac address.

• 5.  RE: windows 7 and Belkin usb wifi adapter not getting dhcp address

Posted Aug 22, 2014 12:29 PM

@cjoseph wrote:

What is the driver date?  Is there an update?  turn on user debugging and try to get the output of "show auth-tracebuf" for that mac address.

seems if it was a driver issue then that would keep it from connecting at all right?

I will run a tracebuf and see

• 6.  RE: windows 7 and Belkin usb wifi adapter not getting dhcp address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2014 12:30 PM

A driver issue could keep if from connecting.  Make sure you have the latest update for any drivers that do not work.

• 7.  RE: windows 7 and Belkin usb wifi adapter not getting dhcp address

Posted Aug 22, 2014 12:32 PM

@cjoseph wrote:

A driver issue could keep if from connecting.  Make sure you have the latest update for any drivers that do not work.

it is connecting but will not pull an address down...I can manually assign and then I have connectivity all the way out to the internet. without a manual address it just sits and then eventually gives a 169.x.x.x address. 

• 8.  RE: windows 7 and Belkin usb wifi adapter not getting dhcp address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2014 12:36 PM

Turn on DHCP debugging:

config t

logging level debugging network subcat dhcp

Try to connect the client, then type:

show log network 50

• 9.  RE: windows 7 and Belkin usb wifi adapter not getting dhcp address

Posted Sep 09, 2015 01:45 AM

i am using the DWA-171 for dlink, and suddenly during my testing from the client it does not detect wifi signal anymore, ( probably dongle was defective ), any recommendation from aruba what model of the wifi dongle to be use and its was tested already in the production.

//migs

• 10.  RE: windows 7 and Belkin usb wifi adapter not getting dhcp address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 09, 2015 06:33 AM

Try the Netgear A6200 adapter.  I hope this Amazon link resolves properly  http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WiFi-USB-2-0-Adapter/dp/B008HO9D7M/ref=sr_1_1