Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

windows 7 and Belkin usb wifi adapter not getting dhcp address

I have a windows 7 desktop and we put a Belkin Dual Band USB wifi adapter in it. I can see the SSID's but when I attach the desktop never grabs an address. If I manually assign one to it then it works fine on the wireless. Its a PSK environment and I have tried "WPA/tkip or aes" as well as "WPA2/tkip or aes"...same results. There are not a lot of settings in Win7 on that adapter to change and I cant find a combination 

any ideas?

Thanks

Guru Elite

Re: windows 7 and Belkin usb wifi adapter not getting dhcp address

Does any device connect to that SSID successfully?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

cjoseph wrote:

Does any device connect to that SSID successfully?

yes all others do, its the only device that wont....well except for a HP wireless printer, couldnt get it to connect too!

Guru Elite

What is the driver date?  Is there an update?  turn on user debugging and try to get the output of "show auth-tracebuf" for that mac address.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

cjoseph wrote:

What is the driver date?  Is there an update?  turn on user debugging and try to get the output of "show auth-tracebuf" for that mac address.

seems if it was a driver issue then that would keep it from connecting at all right?

I will run a tracebuf and see

Guru Elite

A driver issue could keep if from connecting.  Make sure you have the latest update for any drivers that do not work.

Colin Joseph

cjoseph wrote:

A driver issue could keep if from connecting.  Make sure you have the latest update for any drivers that do not work.

it is connecting but will not pull an address down...I can manually assign and then I have connectivity all the way out to the internet. without a manual address it just sits and then eventually gives a 169.x.x.x address. 

Guru Elite

Turn on DHCP debugging:

config t

logging level debugging network subcat dhcp

Try to connect the client, then type:

show log network 50

Colin Joseph

i am using the DWA-171 for dlink, and suddenly during my testing from the client it does not detect wifi signal anymore, ( probably dongle was defective ), any recommendation from aruba what model of the wifi dongle to be use and its was tested already in the production.

//migs

Guru Elite

Try the Netgear A6200 adapter.  I hope this Amazon link resolves properly  http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WiFi-USB-2-0-Adapter/dp/B008HO9D7M/ref=sr_1_1

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: