Wireless Water Cooler

last person joined: 7 days ago 

Hang out and socialize with other community members in this off topic forum. Everything from industry trends to hobbies and interests are welcomed!
Expand all | Collapse all

802.1X EAP-TLS AND validate user credentials on NPS radius server?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  802.1X EAP-TLS AND validate user credentials on NPS radius server?

Posted Mar 30, 2015 05:17 PM

I’m not sure where to ask this.

Can you have an 802.1x EAP-TLS AND validate user credentials using a NPS radius server?

Here’s why I ask…

I do the wireless networking setup and another group does the windows / NPS server side of things. I thought we required the cert and validated the user credentials. (I’m sure I tested this ) but I just tested it and I got on using only the cert and I’m being told that is “how EAP-TLS works!” No user credentials required.

I want to require both user credentials and certificate. Is this possible?

• 2.  RE: 802.1X EAP-TLS AND validate user credentials on NPS radius server?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 30, 2015 10:35 PM

You cannot.  You can have a network rule that can authenticate certificate OR username and password, but not both.

• 3.  RE: 802.1X EAP-TLS AND validate user credentials on NPS radius server?

Posted Mar 30, 2015 11:02 PM

Thank you!

Would you happen to know if this is possible if we were using clearpass as our radius server?

• 4.  RE: 802.1X EAP-TLS AND validate user credentials on NPS radius server?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 30, 2015 11:06 PM

No, for two reasons:

1.  Most supplicants will only allow you to authenticate Either Certificates OR username and password.  A few custom supplicants will allow you to do a combination of username and password, smartcard and certificate, etc, but they cost money.

2.  Most radius servers like clearpass can only service a single EAP type at a time, but a custom supplicant can make them authenticate one or the other.  Highly secure environments deploy this, but they are expensive to deploy and complicated to install and maintain.

• 5.  RE: 802.1X EAP-TLS AND validate user credentials on NPS radius server?

Posted Mar 30, 2015 11:09 PM

Thank you sir!