Wireless Water Cooler

last person joined: 15 days ago 

Hang out and socialize with other community members in this off topic forum. Everything from industry trends to hobbies and interests are welcomed!
Expand all | Collapse all

Apple Mac vs PC

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Apple Mac vs PC

Posted Mar 02, 2018 03:12 PM
    I see a lot of the Aruba guys and wifi engineers in general using Macs - anyone keen to share why they chose the Mac path?
    #ALE

• 2.  RE: Apple Mac vs PC

Posted Mar 03, 2018 11:41 AM
    Hi,
    Mac devices have latest technology upgraded wireless interface cards.

Thanks,

• 3.  RE: Apple Mac vs PC

Posted Mar 03, 2018 11:41 AM
    Hi,
    Mac devices have latest technology upgraded wireless interface cards.

Thanks,

• 4.  RE: Apple Mac vs PC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2018 12:55 PM
    Everybody has their preference. The Mac gives you the potential to run APPS for Mac, Windows (through a virtual machine) and freebsd (Linux). The Mac also makes wireless packet captures easy up to 80mhz wide channels. The wireless also has a pretty good supplicant for connectivity. Again, you will find some people that carry it as their only laptop or multiple laptops depending... Every body's needs are different.

• 5.  RE: Apple Mac vs PC

Posted Mar 20, 2018 05:53 PM

To the point about the Mac's having the latest WiFi tech. My friend and I manage a small wireless network for a company that has all Mac's. We decided to switch off 2.4Ghz altogether as all their devices supported 5G. We were surprised to find that even their 3 and 4 year old devices all has AC cards.

I personally prefer PC over Mac only because I find Mac OS infuriating. I'd sooner take a Linux box running Fedora.

To each their own though. Whatever you enjoy!

• 6.  RE: Apple Mac vs PC

Posted Mar 20, 2018 11:05 PM

Just to add to what cjospeh said.  As a wireless network engineer I rely on my Mac laptop daily for testing and troubleshooting.  Macs come with the latest WiFi tech that is hard to find in PC laptops.  Also, Apple makes it easy to put the WiFi card into promiscuous mode for packet sniffing without the need for an expensive external adapter and software.  I have to mention Adrian Granados and his extremely useful software, Airtool, that makes is crazy easy to capture WiFi packets on a Mac.  You should check it out as well as his other software.  https://www.adriangranados.com/