Wireless Water Cooler

last person joined: 17 days ago 

Hang out and socialize with other community members in this off topic forum. Everything from industry trends to hobbies and interests are welcomed!
Expand all | Collapse all

Can the PT port on the 205H AP be used for an existing analog/digital phone line?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Can the PT port on the 205H AP be used for an existing analog/digital phone line?

Posted Sep 26, 2016 10:16 AM

We are wanting to install the 205H where we have existing data and analog/digital phone cabling. We want to use the existing data port for our uplink to the AP, which I know is possible, but we would also like to be able to utilize the existing analog/digital phone port. Can we pass the phone line through the 205H's PT port? My concern is that the ring voltage might damage the AP or perhaps the AP is not designed to do so. Thanks in advance for your help.

• 2.  RE: Can the PT port on the 205H AP be used for an existing analog/digital phone line?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2016 02:50 AM

The two black labeled PT ports are just 8 copper wires between the back of the AP and the bottom of the AP. They are not connected to the internal circuitry of the the AP, and for that reason can be used for anything that would run over a 4, 6 or 8 wire RJxx connector.

So that can be another PoE+ ethernet, serial port, analog phone. Example: when used as a remote-AP, the E0 is connected with a short cable to the PT on the back of the 205H, which wires the E0 to the black port on the bottom. That makes that you can use the port on the bottom to connect the AP.

Does this answer your question??

• 3.  RE: Can the PT port on the 205H AP be used for an existing analog/digital phone line?

Posted Sep 27, 2016 08:41 AM

That does answer my question and thank you for the detailed answer! That was what we believed to be the case, but we wanted to make sure. Thank you again.