Wireless Water Cooler

last person joined: 11 days ago 

Hang out and socialize with other community members in this off topic forum. Everything from industry trends to hobbies and interests are welcomed!
Expand all | Collapse all

RF Attenuation Values of typical Building Materials

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  RF Attenuation Values of typical Building Materials

Posted Jun 09, 2017 01:22 PM

I'm doing a WiFi design for new construction for the first time...no existing walls to measure signal loss. How do I predict the attenuation values of assorted walls based on their components? Some include significant sound-proofing batting.  Is there a reference list  of common building materials and their corresponding attenuation values? I appreciate any insight!

• 2.  RE: RF Attenuation Values of typical Building Materials

Posted Jul 07, 2017 11:47 PM

According to the CWNA Official Study Guide, attenuation of building materials is as follows for 2.4 GHz:

Foundation wall | -15 dB

Brick, concrete, concrete blocks | -12 dB

Elevator or metal obstacle | -10 dB

Metal rack | -6 dB

Drywall or sheetrock | -3 dB

Nontinted glass windows | -3 dB

Wood door | -3 dB

Cubicle wall | -2 dB

I have also been told that anything that blocks sound or light can also block wi-fi. Soundproofed glass or walls will certainly be a problem.

Other random things to note are speakers (the magnets can interfere with RF, so place APs at a distance from any speakers) and large sources of water (large aquariums, water towers).

I'd also love a more comprehensive list myself, but hopefully that helps with the basics!

• 3.  RE: RF Attenuation Values of typical Building Materials

Posted Aug 30, 2018 10:53 AM

The magnets from the speaker will interfere?

Sinds when?