Wireless Water Cooler

Occasional Contributor I

Using Sonos HiFi Wireless Speaker System with AirGroup

Thought this may be helpful to anyone out there trying to use Sonos wireless speakers with AirGroup enabled on their Aruba wireless networks, as I hadn't seen any other posts regarding the use of these devices.

During a recent wireless proof of concept, it was asked whether the Sonos wireless speakers that an organization had would work on the Aruba wireless infrastructure with AirGroup enabled, and without allowing every service being advertised on the network.  After checking through the blocked AirGroup services multiple times (show airgroup blocked-service-id dlna), and testing and re-testing, we were able to determine the services required by the Sonos system.  We added the following service IDs to the DLNA Media airgroup service in order to make this system work as desired:

airgroupservice "DLNA Media"
  id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:GroupRenderingControl:1"
  id "urn:schemas-sonos-com:service:Queue:1"
  id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:AVTransport:1"
  id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:RenderingControl:1"
  id "urn:schemas-tencent-com:service:QPlay:1"
  id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:GroupManagement:1"
  id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ZoneGroupTopology:1"
  id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:DeviceProperties:1"
  id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:MusicServices:1"
  id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:AlarmClock:1"
  id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:ZonePlayer:1"
  id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:SystemProperties:1"
  id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1"
  id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ConnectionManager:1"

Of course, you could add these under your own airgroup service as "Sonos Services" or whatever you may want to call it in order to differentiate this traffic from other DLNA traffic.

One other thing we noticed was that the ArubaOS 6.4 release notes indicate that "Wireless Clients such as iPad and iPhone running the Sonos Controller application cannot discover Sonos music system with the AirGroup is enabled."  We chose to test this, and found that it actually does work on ArubaOS 6.4.2.2 using multiple Sonos PLAY:1 speakers.  We were able to successfully test playing to individual speakers as well as multiple speakers simultaneously using a Windows 8 client, a Mac OS X client running OS X 10.8+, an iPhone running iOS 8.x, and an iPad Mini running iOS 8.x.

Hope this helps someone else out there trying to use the Sonos speakers with AirGroup!

MVP

Re: Using Sonos HiFi Wireless Speaker System with AirGroup

Cool stuff , thanks sharing
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Occasional Contributor I

[ Edited ]

I am confirming that this works, thank you for this. I have multiple sonos systems in a network with 400 clients and all Apple products including iPhones, iPads, Macbooks were unable to discover the sonos. After enabling DLNA Media and adding the above urn's, All devices are now discoverable again for Macs and iPhones. I am not using the airgroup to do inter-vlan communication, but this was simply necessary to get it working within it's same VLAN.

One small detail that I noticed was I was unable to create a new service with the above mentioned urn's. Everytime I would try to enable/apply the service all urn's contained would delete themselves and only one would remain. I had to add the URN's to the existing DLNA Media service id.

I have Aruba OS 6.4.2.5.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello. I have the same problem, but Unfortunately I cant add any new service id to the existing DLNA Media. Once I add them and I save, they completely disappare.

I'm on Aruba Istant v 6.4.2.0-4.1.1.0_46028

Any idea how I can make Sonos work?

Occasional Contributor I

Have you tried creating a new group and tried adding the URNs that way?

New Contributor

hello.

Yes I created a new group and I could add all the services.

But again, after I save and come back all the services are disappared.

While the new button is obscured and non clickable on the pre-existing DLNA media.

New Contributor

did you ever figure this out.  I also cannot add new service id's from the web interface or cli.

Guru Elite

paulfoley,

What version of code are you running?

Are you on the master controller?

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
New Contributor

I'm on version 6.4.2.0-4.1.1.0_45444

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

currently I am working with 2x Play1 and have been able to get things working once. After a few days the Plays were not reachable, did factory resets (4 or 5 times) and ended up with two seperate Plays in one network, not being able to make stereo pair. I reset both and used cisco 541, working for the moment.

i recognized that the IAP105 got unreachable during some configs and needed a reboot.

used IOS, Android, Windows8 and OSX to do configs.

Version:
6.4.2.6-4.1.1.7_50209

iPad on Aruba reaches Sonos on Cisco in the same network. iPad on Aruba and Sonos on Aruba does not work. iPad on Aruba and Sonos on utp works.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: