Wireless Water Cooler

MVP

When is it time to buy 11ac chipsets

I'm at a cross roads trying to figure out if it's time to start buying laptops with 11ac chipsets or keep going with the 11n chipsets for a wireless network running AP-225s.  I'm a big fan of the Intel Advanced 6300 3x3, but Intel the 7260-AC 2x2 chipset is now an option for some laptops.  I would probably go the route of an AC chipset IF there were a 3x3 option, BUT it looks like Intel is only manufacturing 2x2 AC chipsets currently.  When the wireless network is dense, and you have to use 20MHz channels, a 3x311n chipset seems like the clear choice.

Any thoughts? 

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Guru Elite

Re: When is it time to buy 11ac chipsets

What is the price difference between the 2x2 AC and the 3x3 802.11n chipset?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

Not sure, yet.  Getting quotes now.

Cost is not much of a concern at this time.  I'm concerned about chipset stability and performance.  I can't run wider channels so I will see no performance improvement in a 2x2 11ac chipset over a 3x3 11n chipset.  I'm starting to talk myself out of the 11ac chipsets...

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
MVP

$15 dollar up charge for the 2x2 ac chipset.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: