Wireless Water Cooler

Contributor I

Re: WiFi Ping - Wireless Testing and Diagnostics tool

May I also get the link.  I would to add this to my toolbox if possible.  Looks.interesting

Frequent Contributor I

The Bald One wrote:

Hi cbjohns.

All the functionality is used via the Windows Native Wifi APIs.

I do no Calculation or Minipulation any of the values that are feed back from the API's 

RSSI
The received signal strength indicator (RSSI) value,
in units of decibels referenced to 1.0 milliwatts (dBm),
as detected by the wireless LAN interface driver for the AP or peer station.

Signal
The link quality reported by the wireless LAN interface driver.
The link quality value ranges from 0 through 100.
A value of 100 specifies the highest link quality.

I hope this helps

One thing that i found when testing Laptops, that were connecting or stay connected to an AP that was not the closest, was that i had to change the Roaming Aggressiveness of the wireless card in the Properties / Advanced setting.

Cheers

The Bald One

Thank you! That definitely does help! I'll see if the roaming aggressiveness setting has any affect. If it doesn't, your app has definitely helped point to a driver issue we're seeing with one of our high schools. We actually just came back and I noticed another SSID show up at full bars in Windows - but very weak RSSI. Thank you again for offering this app.

I was curious if there were a couple features you could add. Possibly a drop down - or quick method of running powershell commands in Windows 10 - such as:

• "netsh wlan show wlanreport" (Windows 10 only command) - builds a really nice wlanreport of windows event logs, network profiles, certificates, driver version.
  • Get-NetAdapter, Restart-NetAdapter, are a couple powershell commands that might be happy. I've had to use the "Restart-NetAdapter" commandlet to reset a network adapter that wouldn't show any "networks" end with toggling the wi-fi/airport mode on/off.
New Contributor

Thx for creating the WiFi Ping software can you pls send my the link to download the software? i’m  facing similair problems on our wlan.

greeting Mark

New Contributor

Can I please get a download link to try the software?

The ability to upload the controller output of the 'show ap bss-table' saved us loads of time in locating a roaming issue we were having. 

It appeared to happen all arround the campus but when using this application we quickly noticed it was happening after the users roaming to mesh AP's in our elevators.

So much thanks for letting me use the application! Saved me alot of troubleshooting and going through the logs! 

New Contributor

Thanks for sharing, we are facing similar issue in our office. Please provide the download link. Thank you in advanced.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi,seems like this is the tool I am looking for to help troubleshoot an roaming issue. Please share with me where I can get the tool. Thanks in advance.

[Update 2017-11-10]: Thanks for sharing the tool. It was great to isolate roaming issue especially moving from floor to floor. In my case, it was one of the AP configured with max power and reach beyong the designated floor and holding on the client instead of letting the client roam to closest AP. Great tool for troubleshooting.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: