Wireless Water Cooler

last person joined: 16 days ago 

Hang out and socialize with other community members in this off topic forum. Everything from industry trends to hobbies and interests are welcomed!
Expand all | Collapse all

Wifi on a cruise ship.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Wifi on a cruise ship.

Posted Apr 28, 2015 10:37 AM

I just got back from a seven day cruise aboard the Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas. It was awesome, I would highly recommend it if you get the chance to go.

One of the best parts of the cruise for a wifi geek like me was the fact that the ship had Wifi onboard. It was fast and affordable, It cost ninety-five dollars for unlimited internet for the whole week for two devices. The download speeds were about 5 mbps down and 5 mbps up consistently.

My daughters had their nexus tablets with them and were streaming Netflix for hours at a time. I posted several videos to facebook and had no problems whatsoever. I was able to do facetime video to my friends back in Michigan to show them a virtual tour of the ship. I also used the Vonage Extensions voice over wireless application to call friends while I was in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. I called them just because I could. The sound quality was excellent.

While my wife and kids were busy enjoying the ship and going off to the Bahamas, I was geeking out on how well the wifi worked and having a few drinks. The boat ride was cool as well lol…

Has anyone else found fast Wifi in unusual places?

• 2.  RE: Wifi on a cruise ship.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 28, 2015 11:59 AM

did you happen to notice what the vendor was?

• 3.  RE: Wifi on a cruise ship.

Posted May 28, 2015 09:55 AM

Nice... 

I just spent 3 weeks on its sister ship, Anthem of the Seas. I was working in a  RF support type position and wow what an interesting environment. RF in a basically a large metal can presents some challenges.

The coolest place i have ever performed a validation survey was inside the North Star. It required coverage even when 100 ft above the ship. So I was able to "test" it and the WiFi.

SCA hint hint