Wireless Water Cooler

last person joined: 16 days ago 

Hang out and socialize with other community members in this off topic forum. Everything from industry trends to hobbies and interests are welcomed!
Expand all | Collapse all

Wireless Propagation Studies aka AP on a Stick...

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Wireless Propagation Studies aka AP on a Stick...

Posted Feb 15, 2018 03:58 PM

I am curious to know what others are using. For a WiFi propagation study, the infamous AP on a Stick, what kind of AP is everyone who are doing these using? It has been my experience that IAP's won't broadcast unless they have an internet connection, so that rules them out. So I imagine thick APs are the way to go and I was looking at possibly using a Ubiquity for that purpose.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Cheers!

• 2.  RE: Wireless Propagation Studies aka AP on a Stick...

Posted Feb 15, 2018 04:29 PM

@americanmcneilwrote:

I am curious to know what others are using. For a WiFi propagation study, the infamous AP on a Stick, what kind of AP is everyone who are doing these using? It has been my experience that IAP's won't broadcast unless they have an internet connection, so that rules them out. So I imagine thick APs are the way to go and I was looking at pussibly using a Ubiquity for that purpose.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Cheers!

Scott,

1. You can use an IAP for site-survey - there's an option (wording has changed between firmware versions to prevent the APs from rebooting and to broadcast the SSID even without an uplink -> http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Site-Survey-with-IAP-Manual/td-p/57274
    2. You can also use a normal CAP AP converted into a RAP - The discussion includes a "Site Survey Cook Book" - and the discussion details methods by cjoseph on how to manually adjust the power levels - http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Site-Survey-with-Standalone-AP/td-p/60128

We have an Instant IAP-224, IAP-225, and IAP-275 configured for site-surveys (takes about 6 minutes to boot-up). We also have an AP-277 confirgured as a Site-Survey RAP (wrong model was mistakenly ordered - but we got around that thanks to the cook-book I linked to above.).

For the 224 and 225s, we used a PoE Battery Pack - https://www.amazon.com/VERACITY-VAD-PS-POINTSOURCE-BATTERY--INJECTOR/dp/B003Y24LYW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461335216&sr=8-1&keywords=PoE+Battery+Pack

For the 275 and 277 - we resorted to pushing a UPS Battery around with a PoE+ Power Injector (due to no PoE+ battery packs being available at the time) - the 275 and 277 will not even broadcast their SSIDs without the full PoE+. A few months ago, we were excited to find that a PoE+ Battery Pack had been made and has worked great for us - https://www.amazon.com/Veracity-Usa-VAD-PSP-Pointsource-Plus/dp/B01I21ZXUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507561158&sr=8-1&keywords=Veracity+POINTSOURCE+Plus

• 3.  RE: Wireless Propagation Studies aka AP on a Stick...

Posted Feb 15, 2018 04:35 PM

@ CJ and @ CB, Thanks guys! I didn't realize that IAPs had those settings! (I mostly deal with controller based gear) 

Anyways, much appreciated!! So I could use a spare RAP109 in IAP mode I have, right? just need to look into the battery aspect?

• 4.  RE: Wireless Propagation Studies aka AP on a Stick...

Posted Feb 16, 2018 09:15 PM

@americanmcneilwrote:

@ CJ and @ CB, Thanks guys! I didn't realize that IAPs had those settings! (I mostly deal with controller based gear) 

Anyways, much appreciated!! So I could use a spare RAP109 in IAP mode I have, right? just need to look into the battery aspect?

Hi Scott,

I believe that is correct. I've only worked with the 200 series APs. Before purchasing a battery pack - I would attempt to configure an AP you already have. We used to use a PoE injector for the site surveys - but got bothersome to run an extension cord - survey - unplug and move to another outlet - to have to wait 6 minutes for the AP to boot. I'm not familiar with how old the 105 AP is - but would suggest paying attention to the "antenna patterns" and "power levels". We used to survey with power-levels maxed - but my former co-engineer and other forum contributers greatly advised matching the power levels with that of the device you are attempting to provide coverage for *Smart Phones are about 14-15dBm I think.

• 5.  RE: Wireless Propagation Studies aka AP on a Stick...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2018 09:18 PM

If you are using a power injector (recommended), it is less of a hassle to run a super-long ethernet cable (adhere to the 3-4-5 rule though), and just plug the injector into the closest outlet.

You typically do not have to survey too many rooms, if the walls and structure are similar.

• 6.  RE: Wireless Propagation Studies aka AP on a Stick...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 21, 2018 02:56 AM
    Please remember that simply putting an ap on a stick and performing a
    passive or active survey with default rf power and datarates doesnt really
    reflect real world senarios.

Performing an ACTIVE survey with exact predefined power output parmeters
    and trimmed basic rates will give you a more realistic representation of
    how your wireless coverage and speed will look like post deployment.

You also have to remember that post deployment... enabling ARM or Airmatch
    can fill in any gaps but the rf coverage will not resemble your pre
    deployment active survey.

Post deployment after letting Airmatch or Arm do its thing ( letting it sit
    for 24hrs) you could temporarily disable these RF optomizing features and
    then preform passive survey. This will allow to view your predefined AP
    coverage plan after dynamic rf optimization.

Just remember to reenable ARM or Airmatch if you want to contiune to
    dynamily update the rf environment incase of any new gaps arise because of
    reasons like new walls, new fueniture or even AP failures.

Sent from phone... sorry for typos.

• 7.  RE: Wireless Propagation Studies aka AP on a Stick...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 15, 2018 04:29 PM

I will let the community comment what they use for site surveys, but Aruba Instant APs can indeed be provisioned for site surveys without requiring the internet or even an ethernet link:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Site-Survey-with-IAP-Manual/m-p/57274