Wireless and RF

Occasional Contributor II

Can it be turned off 802.11b

Can I turn off 802.11b on my Radios? I have AP-65 and Controller with OS v3.4.1.1.

Thanks
Ed
Guru Elite

Turn of 802.11b

In the advanced properties of SSID profile, you can effectively remove all the 802.11g basic rates, EXCEPT for 11 and 12. In the 802.11g transmit rates, enable ONLY 12 to 54. The only issue is that a minority of clients do not like this and will not be able to connect, so test, test, test.

The question is, what are you trying to accomplish?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

bt4

Re: Can it be turned off 802.11b

Hi

Is it possible to do something similar for 802.11n in the 5GHz band on the AP125? For example, can I disable 802.11a, whilst allowing 802.11n?

Thanks

Ben
Occasional Contributor I

Hi

Is it possible to do something similar for 802.11n in the 5GHz band on the AP125? For example, can I disable 802.11a, whilst allowing 802.11n?

Thanks

Ben

I beleive the only way to do that is to enable HT mode only (bonded channels) and not allow 20 Mhz channels. I have a customer that did this and my 802.11a radio will not connect to his network. Only 802.11n using 40 Mhz channels will connect.
Guru Elite

Basic Rates

100% 802.11n has some hurdles. Some 802.11n clients still expect to see basic or management rates in the 802.11a range. There will also be some clients that cannot negotiate at the higher rates, so they will not be able to connect. It is unpredictable. You would do best by starting to remove some of the lower 802.11a rates and take it from there.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

We were looking for the solution to this as well :)

Thanks!

In the advanced properties of SSID profile, you can effectively remove all the 802.11g basic rates, EXCEPT for 11 and 12. In the 802.11g transmit rates, enable ONLY 12 to 54. The only issue is that a minority of clients do not like this and will not be able to connect, so test, test, test.

The question is, what are you trying to accomplish?

The screenshot shows selected basic rates of 12 and 18. Is that correct? Or should it be 11 and 12 as you wrote?
Guru Elite

12 and 18. My bad.

Colin Joseph

Regular Contributor I

Hi,
I am looking at disabling 802.11b as well. My aim is to increase the overall performance of the AP by not having to support slow clients/rates.
Will disabling 802.11b achieve this?
If I have multiple SSIDs per AP will it still help to disable 802.11b on all but one SSID?
cheers!

--
ACMA ACMP
Guru Elite

The one problems with disabling "b" rates is issues with legacy clients. Some legacy clients like to see rates 1 and 2 enabled and will refuse to work, regardless. If you are in an environment with legacy clients, you should keep this in mind.

To directly answer your question, disabling 802.11b "could" help you improve performance, but if your AP density is not there, it certainly will not. Different algorithms exist with with different versions of drivers even within the same clients and how they behave is entirely up to what the programmer put in there. Repeated testing is important for changes such as this.

If you have multiple SSIDs, disabling rates only affects the SSID whose rates you disable.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: