Wireless and RF

dpi
Occasional Contributor II

Ekahau RTLS expirience?

Hello,
we are testing the Ekahau RTLS solution for assets tracking and I would like to get some information if you have any experience with it. Right now we are having issue with the controller based DHCP server and wondered if it is related to the tags deployment. The tags are connecting to a dedicated SSID and are on separate VLAN. So far there are around 50 tags in use but they are all set to connect/associate every 5 min. The rest of the time they work using BLINK mode. It looks like after a while the tags just stop getting IPs from the DHCP server and we have to restart the dhcpd process to get them back to work. Have you had this issue and is it the tags or the DHCP server?
Guru Elite

Re: Ekahau RTLS expirience?

The built-in DHCP server on the Aruba controller is only meant for guest deployments and not very large ones. It is recommended to use an external enterprise DHCP server for everything but, small guest deployments.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

We did a POC on the security side model. Used 128bit WEP with corporate MS-DHCP. Worked great. If we purchase and deploy it I will investigate different authentication methods and ip addressing size issues. When the nurse pulled on the lanyard the badge location was within 10ft. Not bad considering.
dpi
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you for your answers. I think we reached the same conclusion about the built-in DHCP server. The thing is that we haven't heard about any issues with DHCP before started deploying the RTLS tags. I wonder if they have to renew their IP every time they associate for maintenance. The "Ekahau" SEs had them doing this every 5 min. So I can see them (the tags) getting to the DHCP server often and at the same time. We asked them to change this interval to longer time and now they are doing it every 30 hrs. So far so good.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: