Wireless and RF

New Contributor

How to proof 802.11n?

Hi Everyone,

I had bought a Aruba 620 Controller at ArubaOS 5.0 and some APs. And i was connecting to 802.11g. I found out that i had to put SSID settings to WPA2-PSK/AES in order to achieve 802.11n. After my changes and trying to connect with a laptop with a wireless card with n capabilities, i can see that it is connected with 802.11n. But the speed i get is only another +4Mbps. My 802.11g is at 54Mbps. Now my 802.11n is at 58Mbps. And it is flapping between 54 and 58 Mbps quite frequently.

My question is, how do i get to a higher speed after conencting to 802.11n? I had 6 APs installed at around 30meters away from each other.

From the Web GUI of the controller, i cannot find prove that i am conencting to 802.11n. The ony way to tell is to see that client is shown as 802.11a-ht or 802.11g-ht. Is that the only way to prove? Any other way to prove i am on 802.11n?

Or, am i not even at 802.11n yet?

Pls help, anyone? :confused:
Or from any experts out there who had met problems proving 802.11n

Thanks
Occasional Contributor II

Re: How to proof 802.11n?

"802.11a-ht or 802.11g-ht" means that the n (high throughput) is active on the a or the g radio frequency.
If you can see that the client is connected with "802.11a-ht or 802.11g-ht" , then it means that that client is connected on the n.
New Contributor

Hi Hi, thanks, but other than that, i would still need to prove that 802.11n is on and i did not know why the speed is still so low. By connecting device, it can only reach a max of 58mbps. It is suppose to reach higher right? Any advise?
Guru Elite

You need to type "show ap association". If your wireless card is a single spatial stream 802.11n device (1ss), that means that the top rate will be 64megs. Single stream cards are in ipod touches, ipads and quite a few netbooks.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Ah i see, i will check that out. I just heard from someone that lets say my office, all people are using laptop with wireless card that can go 802.11n. But as long as there is one employee has a wireless that can only go to 11g, the default speed will fall to 54mbps, thus all laptop's max will go back to 54mbps even though they are stated as connecting to 11n. Is that correct?
Guru Elite

By default, that is what happens, but you can change the QOS settings in the AP-group to "preferred-access" so that 802.11n client get more airtime than 802.11a/b/g clients. Go to configuration> Wireless> AP configuration. Edit the ap-group that you want to change. Expand QOS and click on either 802.11a or 802.11g traffic management profile. Click on New and change the Station Shaping Policy to "preferred-access".

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Thanks Colin, i will test it out. :)
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: