Contributor I

WMM QoS

I had a question about creating a WMM Traffic Management Profile. My controller OS is currently at 3.4.4.3

A our environment at any given time has roughly 1000 to 13000 users. Traffic monitor shows that most of the traffic is just Netflix and Skype. (College Dorm Environment)

The command

show ap debug radio-stats ap-name

shows the ap keeps track of TX/RX WMM Counters for VO,VI,BE,BK

has anyone enabled shaping policy and seen improvement among their users?

Can anyone say they have seen any potential dangers to performance in trying this?

I apologize for the vague question just wanted to see if anyone else in the community had any suggestions or comments on WMM.
Aruba Employee

Re: WMM QoS

The problem is that AFAIK those are both going to run over port 80, and there is no way to differentiate that traffic on the controller to re-assign the priority by port. You might be able to do it by using traffic bound for particular IPs, but that would be about it.

That said, if most of the traffic are those two services moving them up in priority won't really have any effect. In essence you'd be making most of your traffic high priority, and if everything is high priority nothing is...

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
Contributor I

I could be wrong but doesn't WMM work by creating 4 access categories. Voice Data, Video Data, Best Effort, and Background.

The frames are assigned to each transmit queue where then its up to a collision resolution algorithm to determine when it can send each frames.

I have no problem looking dumb in a forum so if I'm wrong my mistake but are you sure VOIP runs over port 80? I thought Voip runs over SIP which is on a different port.

So using WMM could create performance issues with Contention Windows, etc, but not all traffic would be high priority, things like web browsing would be Best Effort, and Email would be background

Thanks for the response.
Aruba Employee

SIP yes, Skype not so much. Remember this thing tries to get around firewalls so users can leverage it everywhere. If you have standard SIP running as well you can put the ALG in place and change it's priority, but Skype is not the same beast, nor is Netflix multicast video for instance. I thought from your question, and I could be wrong, that you were trying to deal with these two apps.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Aruba Networks
Contributor I

No your right those are my main concerns, thanks again for your reply.

So another question then... the command

show ap debug radio-stats ap-name radio 1 or 0

lists at the bottom of both Transmit Specific Statistics / Receive Specific Statistics

The WMM Access categories.

Tx WMM 6249107
Tx WMM 464291
----------------------------------------
Rx WMM 146
Rx WMM 3379824
Rx WMM 366

So the AP sees/knows it has VoIP traffic, Best Effort and Background stuff, can't say for sure what applications fall under each categories, but do you think it would be of any benefit to turn WMM and give VoIP a higher priority.
Aruba Employee

It would, you probably do have some SIP running, though it may not be something you've setup. I haven't looked at Skype in some time, so I'm not sure if they are setting the priority or not.

The other thing that can of course happen is that I as a user could be hacking an application to set the bits such that my game/P2P/whatever app tells the network that it's voice to get a higher class of service. You can use the firewall to keep this prioritization by using the ALGs and setting everything else to BE.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Aruba Networks
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: