Higher Education

View Only
last person joined: 17 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass Serial Connection

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  ClearPass Serial Connection

Posted Jan 14, 2022 02:20 PM
    Good afternoon 

Question: Is there a part number for the serial ClearPass cable? We do not have the serial cable that came in the box. We have tried multiple null model cables brand with no luck getting console. Any suggestion using a third-party cable? 

Another option is to use a serial to rj45 converter so I can plug the C3000 appliance to the open gear console server. 

Thank you in advance, 
    Nils. 

Configuring the Policy Manager Hardware Appliance

The initial setup dialog starts when you connect a terminal, PC, or laptop running a terminal emulation program to the Serial port on the Policy Manager hardware appliance.

To configure the Policy Manager hardware appliance:

1. Connect the Serial port.

a. Connect the Serial port to a terminal using a null modem cable.

b. Power on the hardware appliance.

The hardware appliance is now available for configuration.

2. Configure the Serial port.

Bit Rate: 9600

Data Bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop Bits: 1

Flow Control: None

------------------------------
    Nils Lau
    Nova Southeastern University

• 2.  RE: ClearPass Serial Connection

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 17, 2022 04:17 AM
    Any standard DB-9 console cable should work. Failing that, if you just need this for initial configuration have you connected a VGA monitor instead?

Craig Syme

• 3.  RE: ClearPass Serial Connection

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 18, 2022 04:25 AM
    You would need a null-modem female-female, or null-modem male-female plus a gender-changer female-female should work as well if you have a USB-Serial adapter or computer with DB9 male connector.

Getting serial connections to work, maybe challenging as the standardization seems not always followed. The serial port on the ClearPass server is a 'server port'.

For the initial setup, a VGA monitor plus USB keyboard should work as well.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 4.  RE: ClearPass Serial Connection

Posted Jan 19, 2022 01:43 PM
    Thank you everyone. The VGA monitor works with the usb keyboard.

Tip: If you plug in the monitor and do not get console access make sure the hardware appliance is actually turn on. You have to manually push the turn on button in the front after you plug in the power supplies. 

I will keep trying to find a null cable that works because I would like to plug the ClearPass HW appliance to the console server for remote access. 

Nils

Nils Lau
    Nova Southeastern University

• 5.  RE: ClearPass Serial Connection

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 20, 2022 11:05 AM
    "Tip: If you plug in the monitor and do not get console access make sure the hardware appliance is actually turned on."

LOL! For the serial console, you will need to have the appliance turned on as well ;). I think you can (from the VGA) change in the BIOS/EFI settings that the appliance always turns on when power is connected. The default value probably is to restore the last value, so turn on again after power loss, but stay off after explicit shutdown.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.