Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

chromecast support with IAP

This thread has been viewed 31 times
  • 1.  chromecast support with IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 12, 2016 05:03 AM

Chromecast gets associated with IAP and I am able to setup chromecast but none of the other devices in the same network are able to find any chromecasts devices.

Chromecast worked perfectly well with cheap huawei AP and with Aruba controller based network.

I tried to tweek airgroup settings but it didn't help. 

• 2.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

Posted Jan 12, 2016 05:42 AM
    2. In the Aruba GUI, go to More-->Services

3. Under the Airgroup tab, check the Enable DLNA box

4. Under AirGroup Service, enable the following:

-googlecast

-DIAL

-DLNA Media

• 3.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

Posted Jan 12, 2016 05:44 AM
    If the above dosent work,try to disabling Airgoup, then unchecking Drop Broadcast and Multicast,

• 4.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 12, 2016 06:34 AM

Unfortunately didn't work. No effect with airgroup. I found under WLAN settings broadcast/multicast section disabled broadcast filtering. Multicast optimization was disabled by default. No difference if it was enabled or desabled.

Anything else I should try?

• 5.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 12, 2016 06:46 AM

What version of Aruba Instant is this?

• 6.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 12, 2016 06:53 AM

HI cjoseph,

The version is 6.4.2.6-4.1.1.11_52666 which should be the latest. Chromast devices are the first generation.

:-j

• 7.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 12, 2016 07:02 AM

Are the chromecast devices connected to the same SSID as the devices that need to control them?  Do you have Firewall policies on devices that connect to that SSID?  If you have firewall policies, please change them to unrestricted.

• 8.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 12, 2016 07:17 AM

They are in the same ssid and there are no firewall rules. Very basic employee ssid with security level wpa2. I just tried with both wpa2 and wpa. Let's see what happens. 

In the virtual controller point of view they look just perfect. They have got IP addresses etc. I tried with huawei and it works. Looks like something is blocked by IAP.

• 9.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 12, 2016 08:20 AM

It works in aruba controller based wlan. What could be so much different with aruba IAP because it doesn't work?

• 10.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 12, 2016 08:50 AM

We need to see your entire config, to understand what could be going on. 

• 11.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 12, 2016 09:25 AM
      |   view attached

Yes, of course, here you go

Attachment(s)

txt
    instant_chromecast.txt   2 KB 1 version

• 12.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 12, 2016 10:00 AM

Turn on Airgroup and enable the GoogleCast Service.  It really should not be needed, though.

• 13.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 12, 2016 01:45 PM
    Ok, it has been on and off and it hasn't made any difference.

• 14.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

Posted Jun 02, 2016 10:30 AM

Hi did you solve your problem? I am facing the same thing.

Regards,

Danny

• 15.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

Posted Aug 24, 2016 01:24 PM

You also have to disable 80211.r and 80211.k if either one of them is enabled the Chromecast will not connect.

• 16.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 31, 2016 04:22 AM
    Hi,

I finally gave it another try.
    There are two things to change from default settings to make chromecast to work with IAP.
    Firstly, you have to disable broadcast filter under SSID advanced configurations. Default setting is ARP filter enabled.
    Secondly, you have to configure Airgroup and enable DLNA and under airgroup service allow googlecast, DLNA and DLNA media or just allow all if you like :)
    Works well!

• 17.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 25, 2017 12:41 AM

it took me awhile to finally fix it.

1) enable to DLNA/DIAL/googlecast allow wired side to cast but not wireless

2) turn off arp filter allows youtub to cast but not other apps to cast (youtube has specially discovery process)

3) turn on the bonjour service and bonjour guest multicast under airgroup finally fix it for me.

very good learning experience for me to understand how IAP works

• 18.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

Posted Nov 08, 2017 10:44 AM

The suggestions still don't fix the issues. I've tried numerous combinations and neither work properly. I had 1 device show up which was my Sony TV for Chromecast, this only showed up in some of the apps, but not all of my casting Apps and discovery didn't work.  I tried the suggested fix and I was able to see my Vizio TV but only from the YouTube app, I was also able to see a device called "NearbyDevice" but it request a PIN which wouldn't show me a pin on the TV.  I then reactivated the Wireless on my Linksys Router and now I have 4 devices show up. 2 Chromecast devices and 2 DLNA Servers. The ARUBA IAP Software is definitely filter or blocking some of the necessary traffic that allows the Chromecast and DLNA to work via the cheaper Wireless Router.  I ran tests using, Iphone 7S Plus, Linksys AC5400, Sony XBR Android TV, Vizio E65 SmartTV, LG-Nas with DLNA Support, iMac Running PlexServer.  Keep in mind this all works using the Linksys AC5400 Router.

• 19.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 09, 2017 09:19 AM

from my understanding, the multicast service is used chromecast (I have v2), therefore, you need to drop the filter for multicast.  I also have vizo and it also show up.   One thing I did not mention is using controller network DHCP  (getting 172.31.x.x) since I want to isolate the network issue.  in that mode, the casting devices must be on the same subnet.   the same config works for me on an IAP 205 and an IAP 207, so I'm confident with the setting.

• 20.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

Posted Mar 18, 2019 12:56 PM

I believe that you also need to go to System (upper right) then click Show Advanced Options (lower left), then scroll down to Deny Inter User Bridging and select Disabled. 

Make sure you factory reset the ChromeCast device (hold down button for 15 seconds) before rejoining the device. I've also seen where you'll need to reboot the Aruba IAPs to make it work.

If your still struggling, PM me and I'll send you very detailed instructions on how to get this done.

• 21.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

Posted Oct 01, 2018 10:17 AM

Hi,

I finally gave it another try.
    There are two things to change from default settings to make chromecast to work with IAP.
    Firstly, you have to disable broadcast filter under SSID advanced configurations. Default setting is ARP filter enabled.
    Secondly, you have to configure Airgroup and enable DLNA and under airgroup service allow googlecast, DLNA and DLNA media or just allow all if you like :)
    Works well!

This, together with making sure Multicast was enabled across the different VLANs I had set up finally made it work with our 8 Chromecasts in the company network. 

Much appreciated!

• 22.  RE: chromecast support with IAP

Posted Jan 03, 2022 06:30 AM
    Wow. Hours of troubleshooting the firewall, switch, and the device itself for it to end up being such a simple fix. Thank you good sir.

------------------------------
    Valmik Patel
    ------------------------------