Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

This thread has been viewed 189 times
  • 1.  IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

Posted May 17, 2018 01:12 PM

Apologies if this has been answered before, but I'm at a bit of a loss on finding a functional USB to MicroB console cable for the new IAP-345.  

I've tried two vendors standard cables, neither of which functioned correctly.  

I found the AP-CBL-SERU article which indicates that a different pin order was used. The document found indicated that Arubas (orange) console cable is using Red/Black/Green/White USB-A to Micro-B. 

However, Industry standard looks to be Red/White/Green/Black.

Does anyone know where I can acquire this console cable?  I've got staging vendors I'm trying to make sure are outfitted to provision/t-shoot these APs but it doesn't really matter unless I can find a console cable that works.

Any leads appreciated!

• 2.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 17, 2018 01:17 PM

The console port on the AP-345 (and most other indoor Aruba AP platforms) is NOT industry standard.

To use the interface you'll need the custom/proprietary Aruba console cable AP-CBL-SERU (JY728A).

• 3.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

Posted May 17, 2018 01:23 PM

Thank you for confirming that!

When I look up that part number and all I find is a USB-MicroB cable that feeds into an automotive power adapter looking thing.  

aruba_consolecable.png

I've been leery of purchasing that cable due to the fact that I can't find what looks like a "normal" usb console cable.  If this is the correct one, I'll get it ordered.

• 4.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 17, 2018 01:36 PM

That's definitely not a picture of the part number I just shared. Where did you find that one?

• 5.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

Posted May 17, 2018 01:39 PM

Amazon of all places!  I've already reported the image as incorrect. 

Luckily a fellow cable seeker posted the correct picture in a comment (aruba orange as described). 

• 6.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 17, 2018 01:44 PM

It's great to hear that the cable can be obtained on Amazon, but I hope they indeed ship the correct orange cable..

• 7.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

Posted May 17, 2018 01:53 PM

The same image is featured on numerous other vendors websites.

Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0ED-00AW-00001

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/JY728A-Aruba-Micro-USB-Console-Adapter/dp/B071YNFZBG 

Lead times with HPE are just too long for me to wait for a single cable as I have imminent projects with my 345s so I sourced from somewhere else.

Additonally, HPE could really benefit with putting a picture of the cable on their own pages.

• 8.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

Posted May 06, 2019 02:23 PM

The proprietary Aruba console cable is a USB to 3.3V TTL converter, sort of electrically similar to a "FTDI Friend" for Arudinos, but with a different connector.  The connector looks like a microUSB, but is wired differently.  This is a photo of the cable that works on an AP-515.  When you plug it into a Linux pc, it should show up as /dev/ttyUSB0, no special driver needed.  Use 9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control, no carrier watch.  

60881.2.jpeg

• 9.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

Posted May 10, 2019 08:57 AM

Thanks for the picture!
    Where can I buy it?

• 10.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

Posted May 13, 2019 02:27 PM

The amazon link is valid, they just have the wrong picture.  

• 11.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

Posted Feb 01, 2020 05:04 PM
    I think that It Is realy stupid that you have to have diferent Console cable for every ap generation and switches. Most sad Is that all those cables are same(TTL) only with different connectors. Seem like Aruba just want to squese money from customers

• 12.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 03, 2020 01:38 AM

No, Aruba is not in the business of making money on console cables.

I'm sure you can manage to convince your Aruba sales person to give you one or some of these for free if you have a legitimate need.

• 13.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

Posted Feb 03, 2020 01:15 PM
    As cables containing usb-to-rs232 conversion chips go, it's reasonably priced. Especially since few people will ever need one, so they won't sell many of them, and there's no economy of scale. The use of a micro-usb connector could confuse people, but it's a decent connector choice. From an electronics manufacturing perspective, that connector is small, doesn't take up much PCB area, strong, well tested, and easy to source. I can't think of anything else they could use that meet all those criteria. I haven't figured out the pinout, but as long as they avoid the lines that are +5V in a normal USB pinout, then plugging in a standard USB cable won't burn anything out. The biggest problem I see is someone put them up for sale with the wrong picture. The Amazon listing seems to be gone, but the Newegg one is still there, sans picture, for $25.61. https://www.newegg.com/p/0ED-00AW-00001

• 14.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 03, 2020 05:51 PM

You're correct on all points. There's no risk using a standard USB cable, but to actually access the port, the custom cable is needed.

A bit worried about the product offered on Newegg; the picture does not match the cable (but the part number looks good).

I usually take a bunch of these cables to any Aruba or HPE event I attend, and will gladly share one or more if you find me there ;-)

• 15.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

Posted Feb 03, 2020 06:41 PM

I think that the 8p8c (RJ45 like) serial console port like the one in IAP-325 is way more useful than USB ones. Just think about the possibility of running a very long UTP console cable from your 6 meter-high AP in the middle of a warehouse to a conveniently installed patch panel in one of your racks.

• 16.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 03, 2020 07:26 PM

That is correct, but the number (or percentage) of APs that actually use this is very low, and does not really justify the cost associated with supporting a proper RS232 interface on every single AP.

• 17.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

Posted Feb 03, 2020 07:30 PM

I'd happily pay extra for this feature, it cannot be more expensive than having to rent a Genie platform and/or coordinate a maintenance window in a busy production floor just to connect to an AP's console if I really need to.

• 18.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 03, 2020 07:44 PM

Fair enough. But that does not apply to every customer.

Wireless console using the BLE radio is another option.

We're working on an external adapter to provide a "traditional" RJ45 RS232 console interface for those that really want it. But it will come at the risk of some customers accusing us to make money on accessories again  ;-)

• 19.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

Posted Feb 03, 2020 08:03 PM

I think one thing is to have special accesories for those who really might need them and are willing to pay for them (and saving those bucks for those who do not need them) vs having very useful features completely wiped out.

I will follow up the development of this RS-232 console interface, thank you for letting me know something is on the way.

• 20.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

Posted Feb 04, 2020 05:09 AM

I would rather Aruba not use an RJ45 for the console.  Our contractors would confuse it with an ethernet port. 

• 21.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

Posted Jul 21, 2020 11:06 AM

Has ny one used this cable in a Windows PC?  Does it need drivers and if so, do they come from Windows Update on Win10 please?

• 22.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 21, 2020 02:27 PM

• 23.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 11, 2021 04:22 PM
    Driver link no longer works

------------------------------
    Eddie Ayotte

• 24.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 11, 2021 07:03 PM
    Try this: https://asp.arubanetworks.com/downloads;search=console;products=Aruba%20Access%20Points

Onno Harms

• 25.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

Posted Dec 16, 2020 09:11 PM
    I have found that the orange cable only works on Aruba AP series 500 and above. Any of the older outdoor APs (200-series, 300-series) use a standard micro usb cable that comes with the outdoor AP.

Ilya Petushkov

• 26.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 17, 2020 06:26 AM

That is correct for Outdoor APs.

My summary:

APs that have an RJ45 are a no-brainer, many of the 200- and 300-series indoor APs fall under that category.

Indoor APs that have the micro USB like form-factor console port will have a warning sign printed next to the port and will require the orange console cable that has the level converters and USB to serial components built-in.

Outdoor APs, and controllers/switches with micro-USB/mini-USB/usb-C have the converter integrated and can use standard USB cables.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 27.  RE: IAP-345 USB-to-MicroB Console Cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 17, 2020 11:51 AM
      |   view attached

In addition to the console cable, we now also offer a small module (AP-MOD-SERU, R6Q99A) that can be used to bring back the traditional RS232 (on an RJ45 physical port) on indoor access points that have the custom micro-USB console port. Datasheet is attached.

Onno Harms

Attachment(s)