Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Re: why is my wifi router speed faster than iap speed?

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Re: why is my wifi router speed faster than iap speed?

Posted Oct 12, 2020 02:23 PM

Do you have an iap in the 200 series that you can test? I am starting to think that this is the limitation of the device.  It doesn't make sense as the ethernet connection (backhaul) is tested at full speed (200Mbps), but when connected to the ap, it only does about 60% of that speed.

• 2.  RE: Re: why is my wifi router speed faster than iap speed?

Posted Oct 13, 2020 02:51 AM

I do not think that there are any such speed limitations, but I will run iperf test on my 207 later today.

PS! Have you checked with other client device(phone, other laptop etc)? For example, I found that regardess of AP vendor/type, my iphone 7 was faster then Lenovo T470s, both 11ac 2x2. After driver upgrade, Lenovo caught up.

• 3.  RE: Re: why is my wifi router speed faster than iap speed?

Posted Oct 13, 2020 10:31 AM

Tested IAP207 with 8.6 firmware. Only changes to default config was tx power to 15dBm and channel 60+(40Mhz). Up/Down average results from 2m distance:

T470s: 180/195 Mb/s (60Mb/s when Insidder was running)

iPhone SE2: 210/210 Mb/s

No science behind this test and almost default AP, so 200/200 is achievable. 

• 4.  RE: Re: why is my wifi router speed faster than iap speed?

Posted Oct 21, 2020 02:41 PM

Yes, i have tried speed test against multiple devices to get a consistent read.

I've also made sure that the device i'm testing at the time is also connected by wifi on a channel capable above 100Mbits like "LAPTOP" device shown here:

2020-10-21_11-13-21.pngthe speedtest resulted in ~80Mbits on a 500Mbit (verified) service (i recently upgraded service)... again, ethernet hits 300-500 no problem on the same port and wire that the iap is using.

i have also updated firmware to 8.6.0.6_77124 (Digitally Signed - Production Build) for the iap-207.  i know there's higher, but i think this is the highest recommended for the model.

how does yours test out?