Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP205 cluster with new IAP305

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  IAP205 cluster with new IAP305

Posted Oct 12, 2020 07:06 AM

We have a 3 AP cluster (virtual controller) running for quite some time but need to add a new additional AP. The IAP-205 is EOL so we have purchased an IAP-305.

IAP-205 running firmware 6.5.4.3

IAP-305 running firmware: 8.6.0.2

What is required to join the IAP-305 to the 205 cluster as it does not appear to autojoin.

• 2.  RE: IAP205 cluster with new IAP305

Posted Oct 12, 2020 08:01 AM

Instant VC clusters require thal all the members be on the same firmware version.

You cannot join 8.x with 6.x.

The best solution would be to backup and restore the configuration from the 205 VC to the 305 AP.

Shutdown the 205's and bring up the 305 as a VC.

• 3.  RE: IAP205 cluster with new IAP305

Posted Oct 13, 2020 04:08 AM

Thankyou for the reply. 

I assume that I wouldn't be able to join the 6.X APs into the new 8.X VC until I updated the firmware on these APs then.

Is it possible that I could backup one of the existing 6.X APs (not the preferred master) and restore this config to the 8.X AP?

As a side issue, the certificate on the VC appears to have expired so I cannot automatically check for new firmware, are you able to point me to any docs on how I can renew this cert.

• 4.  RE: IAP205 cluster with new IAP305
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 13, 2020 06:57 AM

I don't believe there is any firrmware available to bring a 205 to 8.x

You can backup any member of the VC using the 'Maintenance Backup '

You will need to manually update the 205 from the support portal.

https://asp.arubanetworks.com/

This document should give you a starting point

• 5.  RE: IAP205 cluster with new IAP305

Posted Oct 14, 2020 04:48 AM

Hi,

If I cannot get 8.X firmware for the IAP-205 then is it even possible to run the 305 and 205 in the same cluster?

I have attempted to downgrade firmware on the 305 and also restore a config to it from one of the 205s but it doesn't appear to work. CLI is giving me an error that it is running in a degraded state (assume because it is trying to join existing cluster and isn't able to).

If it's not possible to run the 305 in a cluster with the 205 then how can I put it in standalone mode so I can at least make use of this new AP?

Thanks.

• 6.  RE: IAP205 cluster with new IAP305

Posted Oct 14, 2020 07:03 AM

Alll Instant AP's must be on the same firmware to be a member of a VC.

You can convert an AP to 'standalone'

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_83_WebHelp/Content/Instant_UG/IAP_maintenance/ConvertingIAPtoStandalone.htm

You will have to control it separatly from other AP's.

An AP that tries to join a VC with different firmware will constantly reboot to restart the 'swarm join'...you won't be able to do anything on the CLI.

• 7.  RE: IAP205 cluster with new IAP305

Posted Oct 14, 2020 08:02 AM

Thanks. I have lost access to the AP now since trying to downgrade the firmware so will have to try get to it via console. I am able to get to GUI but not back to it via SSH. The default admin credentials (admin/serial number) and (admin/admin) do not work via the GUI but they worked via SSH when I previously had access. This was the case before I lost access via SSH also. Any idea why the creds don't work via GUI?

• 8.  RE: IAP205 cluster with new IAP305
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 20, 2020 12:42 AM

Hi Matt,

Not sure, if you solved your issue so far, but just wanted to mention, that you can run the IAP205 and IAP305 in the same cluster. Both IAP's need to run the same version of software and both IAP's support 6.5.4.x. 

BR

Florian

• 9.  RE: IAP205 cluster with new IAP305

Posted Oct 20, 2020 03:33 AM

This is what I ended up doing, all now working. Thanks.

• 10.  RE: IAP205 cluster with new IAP305

Posted Jan 03, 2021 11:01 PM

Hi All, is the problem solved?so what is the solution? Because I am facing same situation as IAP 205 won't join IAP 305 cluster or reverse. Please advice.

------------------------------
    Dadang Latif

• 11.  RE: IAP205 cluster with new IAP305

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2021 08:24 AM
    Check the 'best-answer', which was reported to resolve the issue. Make sure the APs are running the exact same version before you join them in the same network. Use a separate network with only one specific AP type to upgrade; or if you have a 305 cluster running, up/downgrade that to a version that supports both 205 and 305; then power off all the APs, bring up the 205s, upgrade firmware and make sure the cluster of 205's is up, bring those down (assuming the 305 cluster has the desired configuration), bring up the 305 cluster, wait till operational, add the 205's. You will have now a cluster of 305's and 205's.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.