Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 3 hours ago 

Aruba Instant Wi-Fi: Meet the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set-up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP connection to virtual controller across subnet/VPN

• 1.  IAP connection to virtual controller across subnet/VPN

Posted Oct 26, 2020 08:19 PM

I have a client with two sites connected by a VPN. Site A contains multiple IAPs with a virtual controller setup. Site B previously only had wired connections but I am adding an IAP-305.

I thought that adding the AP would be quite easy given that the sites already have a VPN connection but it doesn't seem like it is as easy as I had hoped. I set the AP up at Site A and had it working. I brought it to site B and can access the GUI but the VC from Site A doesn't see the AP when at site B. From what I am reading online from the forum it looks like the IAP requires L2 access (to be in the same subnet) as the VC in order for it to setup easy.

What's the easiest way to accomplish the setup? My ultimate goal is to have it such that people can bring their laptops from site A to site B without having to configure a new wireless network. Further to that, it would be nice to manage everything from one VC.

Any help is appreciated.

• 2.  RE: IAP connection to virtual controller across subnet/VPN

Posted 30 days ago
    Hi,

as long as you don´t have an L2 connection between those APs they don´t form a so called Cluster.
    The Cluster has the benefit that you have a single Management, etc.
    The only way to accomplish the goal is to:
    a) get an L2 Connection over VPN
    b) manage those 2 IAPs by a Management Tool like AirWave (on-Premise) or Aruba Central (cloudbased)
    c) doing manual configuration by copying the config by hand from one AP to the other

Cheers