Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-225 same as IAP-225?

This thread has been viewed 66 times
  • 1.  AP-225 same as IAP-225?

Posted Jul 25, 2020 12:59 AM

Looking at a few Aruba APs to expand my WiFi network.  They’re AP-225s.  I don’t have a controller and currently use IAP-205s with a virtual controller.  Are the AP-225s the same and capable of running instantOS?

• 2.  RE: AP-225 same as IAP-225?

Posted Jul 25, 2020 02:38 AM

No, they are not the same. An IAP can be converted to a CAP but the vice versa is not possible.

This is only possible if the model of the Access Point is an UAP - Universal Access Point. 

Try checking the model number/ part number on a HPE product site to get an idea of your model or just call the support to verify your model for you.

• 3.  RE: AP-225 same as IAP-225?

Posted Aug 02, 2020 03:08 PM

Actually, That is not entirely accurate.

The AP-225's support the 8.6 code which does allow you to convert from the thin AP setup to the fat IAP configuration.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_86_Web_Help/Content/arubaos-solutions/1cli-commands/ap-convt.htm 

However, this functionality while works support will not assist with issues on the 2xx AP's from what I've heard.

I haven't tried the 225's, but I have converted an AP-224 to be functionally an IAP-224. ....not without bugs though, I'm working through some issues getting it to join an existing IAP215 cluster.

• 4.  RE: AP-225 same as IAP-225?

Posted Jan 14, 2021 12:23 PM
    Hi Patrick, just noticed your post.  The link is now dead.  How did your conversion go?  I'm interested in doing the same...

thanks.

------------------------------
    Dino V

• 5.  RE: AP-225 same as IAP-225?

Posted Jan 17, 2021 11:08 AM
    UPDATE:  I was able to upgrade the AP-225 to the same 8.6 code however it does not join the existing IAP-225 cluster...it creates it's own and becomes it's own master?  I installed the latest firmware without a controller.  FYI, to get it installed I interrupted the boot process and installed 8.6 code from a tftp server.  Has anyone had success using this method?  Thanks.

Dino V

• 6.  RE: AP-225 same as IAP-225?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 18, 2021 03:46 AM
    You cannot convert an AP-225 to an IAP-225. You will need a controller to operate an AP-225.

Seems like you attempted to use tftp from the apboot to get Instant firmware on an AP-225 and that will not work as regulations in countries like the US require the country code to be fixed to their own (US) territories.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 7.  RE: AP-225 same as IAP-225?

Posted Jan 18, 2021 08:52 AM
    Thanks Herman.

The following was taken from the ArubaOS 8.6.0.0 User Guide, under new features.

AP Conversion

A new command, ap convert, is introduced to convert Campus APs or Remote APs to Instant APs. You can convert the APs, AP lists, or AP groups using local-flash or local image server options like ftp, tftp, http, https, or scp by copying the downloaded image from Aruba support to the local ftp/tftp/scp server.

The AP's wont be in a production environment, I've read that others have successfully converted their AP's.

Dino V

• 8.  RE: AP-225 same as IAP-225?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 18, 2021 09:45 AM
    You will need a controller to perform the operation and it works only for some APs or even some serial numbers of APs. For some APs the resources like flash or memory are different between the AP and the IAP model, so you practically can't convert those APs. Reports are very mixed on the results and I found it unsupported by Aruba TAC if the functionality (IAP) does not match the product (Campus AP). Also, APs converted will not work with Aruba Central. You can try it and if it works, you are lucky. And I agree with not using this in production as it is unsupported. Just copying the OS on will not work for sure as a Campus AP model has no regulatory domain.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.