Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Apple iOS Devices - Connected but cannot conect to the internet

This thread has been viewed 34 times
  • 1.  Apple iOS Devices - Connected but cannot conect to the internet

Posted Oct 24, 2012 06:03 AM

Hi

I recently installed two iAP 105's into our dev enviroment to test the new iAP firmware (ArubaInstant_Orion_6.1.3.4-3.1.0.0_35320).  I appear to be having an intermittent issue with two test devices - Apple iPhone5, and an iPad3 (Both running iOS6).  These devices are connected to the network, they appear to work for a while, but then they just stop connecting to the interent.  The only way to get these devices to work on the network again, is to completly reboot the iOS device. 

Has anyone else seen this before? 

Any pointers on how to go about troubleshooting this? 

Regards

Robbie

• 2.  RE: Apple iOS Devices - Connected but cannot conect to the internet

Posted Oct 24, 2012 10:23 PM

I'm using a controller based environment and we need to have iOS6 devices connected to a wireless network that does not have Internet access (isolated WLAN for a specific internal app).  Unfortunately, it does not work because it seems the iOS6 firmware assumes that when you connect to WiFi you will always have Internet access and it does a check to an Apple URL.  If it's unreachable it drops the wireless connection.  To get it working again, we have to disconnect and reconnect.  Very weird but haven't looked more into it as it's in another group on our end.  Previous versions of iOS doesn't have the problem.  Not sure if this is related to your issue or not but thought I would mention it.

-Mike

• 3.  RE: Apple iOS Devices - Connected but cannot conect to the internet

Posted Oct 26, 2012 04:35 PM

Over the last 1 to 2 weeks, I've seen about 4 or 5 issues where an IOS6 device successfully connects to our 802.1x Aruba network (authenticates, gets a valid IP address, great signal strength, etc.), but cannot get to any web sites. If the device pings the gateway IP address for their network or if another device on the network pings their IP address (I've done this from my PC, as well as from the controller), the web connection is instantly restored. Any ideas?

• 4.  RE: Apple iOS Devices - Connected but cannot conect to the internet

Posted Nov 07, 2012 12:41 PM

Hi Gents - Thanks for the reply's - Apologise for not getting back sooner....  totally forgot about htis, as been focussing on production issues...  Well, seen apple updated iOS6 to t iOS6.0.1, I have only seen the issue once - So I'm guessing it's an iOS issue.....  I've also seen issues with Proxy settings on iOS6, but haven't re-tested with the new release. 

I'll write it off as an iOS issue..  but would love to figure out what's happening on the actual device - What's the nest way to find out what radio band (2.4 / 5Ghz) a certain device is connected to?

Thanks

• 5.  RE: Apple iOS Devices - Connected but cannot conect to the internet

Posted Sep 13, 2021 09:52 AM
    Im noticing this problem with all of my iOS and MacOS devices. Internet will work one moment and drop the next. Devices are still connected to the IAP, but all traffic beyond the IAP (Local LAN and internet) is dropped. Sometimes a ping or two will get through, then it resumes dropping the traffic. Happens when stationary.

------------------------------
    Jeff Robinson

• 6.  RE: Apple iOS Devices - Connected but cannot conect to the internet

Posted Nov 23, 2021 10:55 AM
    Jeff,  Did you ever figure out what was going on with iOS and MacOS devices.  We are seeing a similar issue.  It seems to be related to the http proxy setting, the devices we are seeing this happen to have http proxy set to automatic.  If they turn it of everything seems to work.  Since we do not have a proxy server or any WPAD settings configured in DHCP or DNS I would think automatic would be the same a off.  Most of these are BYOD so we don't have direct access to their configurations.

Matthew Perry