Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Keep receiving the alert "Authentication Server Radius1 is down" when it's not true.

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Keep receiving the alert "Authentication Server Radius1 is down" when it's not true.

Posted Jul 19, 2021 02:34 PM
    Hello.

I have a Aruba WiFi Controller and two radius servers in my IT infrastructure.

I have the firmware 8.8.0.0_79697. 

Recently I've been receing the alert "Authentication Server Radius1 with IP X.X.X.X is down", but it's not true.

Not only the ping doesn't fail once, I'm currently logged in to the server when the alert appears.

What do you guys think it is? What can I do to solve this?

------------------------------
    ArubaUser

• 2.  RE: Keep receiving the alert "Authentication Server Radius1 is down" when it's not true.

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 20, 2021 08:53 AM
    Best to stay at the conservative releases until there is a need for use other firmware. Latest conservative release is 8.6.0.10 now. When use a standard release 8.8.x.x without any pathes 8.8.0.0 you can see this kind of bugs.

As long your hardware (Access Points) are supported in the conservative release i would recommend to use 8.6.0.10 and see if the problem is fixed.

Other thing is to try the correct working of your RADIUS server from the CLI with this command:
    aaa test-server {mschapv2|pap} <server> <username> <passwd> {<STRING>} {<verbose>}

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 3.  RE: Keep receiving the alert "Authentication Server Radius1 is down" when it's not true.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 21, 2021 05:23 AM
    The Authentication Server is down message does not check ping, but if the server responds to RADIUS. You can check a show auth-tracebuf on the controller to see all authentication steps, and one possibility is that through a firewall or MTU issues in the path between your controller and ClearPass, RADIUS packets are lost.

Your Aruba partner, or Aruba TAC should be able to assist with this troubleshooting as well, because it may be hard to find if you have not done this before.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.