Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Retires In at about 10%, what to look for?

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Retires In at about 10%, what to look for?

Posted Mar 03, 2021 04:10 PM

Hello everyone.  I've got a campus and one user complaining their connection is poor, this is a 300 series Cluster most 305s.  At first it seemed like their connection was fine, good signal, good speed connected but then I noticed their frame graph and it's horrible.  Basically they have about 10% retries in, 0 retries out however.  

I'd like to know what to look for with this issue? 

I'm going to go there tomorrow, actually a most people there have this condition but only one is complaining.  The last thing I tested was I ran Roadkil's CommTest on it, and was great numbers from the box but to the box was around 6MBps - this steadily declined to just over 1MBps! It's about 10% retires in, so if 16k Fps, ~ 1.6k in retries.  Under a certain low rate though, it goes away. 

I've already done:
    Dropped the AP into spectral monitoring, first 5Ghz, then 2.4Ghz.  5Ghz, nothing at all and this user (and all of them) connect 5Ghz .11ac. 2.4Ghz says there is a bluetooth device, worst thing is ch3 leaving 88% of that channel free.

I've also turned off 80Mhz and wideband support to see if that would have any effect. 

Let me know if you have any ideas or need more info. I have noticed that people's cell phones seem to not be or really be effected in the same areas.

Shows the issue

------------------------------
    Stuart Taylor

• 2.  RE: Retires In at about 10%, what to look for?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 04, 2021 04:42 AM
    This can be interference, and it is hard to tell from here what it is. Best to see if you can link this to a specific band (2.4 / 5 GHz) or better channel, a location, time, or client(type). If you have clients that push a lot of data (or you have a neighbor using the same channels and pushing a lot of data) that can result in retries and sub-optimal performance. WiFi is a shared medium. Other possibilities are that you have your APs too close together and/or too high RF power, or that you have 'distant clients' that are connected with low datarates 'eating all available the airtime'. If the issue is on 5GHz, then turning off 80MHz is a good candidate. Also, check your broadcast filtering in the SSIDs and verify that you don't share the VLAN with wired clients.

Aruba TAC Support may have a look at your statistics and come up with suggestions. And if you prefer to read yourself, the Aruba Instant VRD 2.0 is a good document that covers the points above in more detail.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Retires In at about 10%, what to look for?

Posted Mar 05, 2021 10:15 AM

Thanks for the input. I'm reading into the document now. I'm not sure if we have a support contract. 

I went over there and I've also made some changes while reading.  I think it made an improvement but I couldn't test because I forgot my laptop.  After hours I took the entire cluster into spectrum monitoring and at first I still had the noise on the 2.5 network but it slowly went away one by one.  It hit me, everyone was gone and the custodians were working room by room and then turning off the lights!  It's probably ballasts.  I still don't see anything consistent on the 5Ghz side that would cause issues only on the in and not out but I'm digging into it. 

Thanks again. 

Stuart Taylor