Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP 5x4 without Antennas

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  AP 5x4 without Antennas

Posted Oct 08, 2021 10:13 AM
    I'm working with a customer that bought some tens of APs 514, but because a delivery issue the external antennas will arrive in a couple of weeks.
    Please, the questions:
     1.  Is it possible to turn on the APs without antennas for configuring? If so, how many time?
     2.  Is it mandatory the use of dummy 50 ohm loads in the terminals?

Thanks,

------------------------------
    HIT
    ------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: AP 5x4 without Antennas

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 08, 2021 01:55 PM
    1.  You can turn on the APs and have them connect to the controller, but they will shut down their radios until you put in the antenna gain.  It is not a good idea to power up radios without external antennas.
    2.  Terminators should only be placed on unused antenna connectors (like if you were only using two antennas instead of 3).
    3.  I would honestly wait for the antennas.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: AP 5x4 without Antennas

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 08, 2021 01:57 PM
    Until you provision antenna gain numbers, would the radios not remain shut down anyway?

Onno Harms

• 4.  RE: AP 5x4 without Antennas

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 11, 2021 08:20 AM
    Another option is to put the radios in AirMonitor mode, so you can mount the APs, test connectivity, and once you mount the antennas add the gain and turn back the radios to Access mode. If you have dummy loads, you could also temporarily put those in place while waiting for the antennas, that is even more secure. The reason why you cannot enable radios without the antenna is that the power needs to go in the antenna (or dummy load), otherwise the radio may get damaged if it can't release the power.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.