Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-205 External Captive Portal config doesn't redirect when accessing via iPhone, Android, Windows 10 etc...

This thread has been viewed 43 times
  • 1.  IAP-205 External Captive Portal config doesn't redirect when accessing via iPhone, Android, Windows 10 etc...

Posted Apr 19, 2021 02:22 PM
      |   view attached
    This is my first time configuring an Aruba device to work with an External Captive Portal. I've configured several other APs to work with ECPs so I know what I'm doing. I followed these instructions but I can't get an iOS device running 14.4.1 (new) or an Android device running 5.1.1 (old) to automatically redirect to the ECP page. In fact, in the rules I specify "deny access" but the devices (iPhone & Android) are able to freely browse the internet once connected to WiFi. What's truly interesting is that a Windows 10 device actually redirects to https://localhost:4343/wifi/index. /wifi/index is the Url in ECP Profile.

Configuring External Captive Portal for a Guest Network (arubanetworks.com)

The IAP is running 6.4.2.0-4.1.1.0_46028. The UI won't allow me to easily select InternalServer nor will the device actually store the correct Auth Server once selected. I'm using both Edge & Chrome to try to manage this thing. Moreover, under WLAN Configuration - Security - External Splash Page, you will see localhost etc... in the attached image. I've also added an SSL cert for wifi.mydomain.com which is where my ECP page is hosted but the Controller is serving up instant.arubanetworks.com.

I'm trying to use Authentication Text as the Type which, as I understand, would require me to be able to select InternalServer. I don't want to use a Radius server.

It's clear to me that this software config is buggy. By the way, I've tried to upgrade this thing but I don't have access to the correct image. :)

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance! 

• 2.  RE: IAP-205 External Captive Portal config doesn't redirect when accessing via iPhone, Android, Windows 10 etc...

Posted Apr 19, 2021 03:30 PM
    Why does the Aruba Controller serve up the instant.arubanetworks.com SSL cert when I've uploaded the SSL cert for wifi.mydomainname.com? Is there a way to specify which SSL key to use???

Do I have to use the same SSL key on the Controller & ECP page? Reason being is that the Aruba Controller is using a 90-day ZEROSSL cert whereas the ECP page is using an SSL cert from Microsoft Azure.

Thanks!

• 3.  RE: IAP-205 External Captive Portal config doesn't redirect when accessing via iPhone, Android, Windows 10 etc...

Posted Apr 20, 2021 10:34 AM
    Hi, as far as i understand you want to use an External Captive Portal rigth?

If you want to do that, the first thing you need to change is the URL to point to the IP/hostname of the webserver hosting the Captive Portal. The second thing ypu need to change is the URL to probably /wifi/index since is the actual location inside the webserver.
    ip/hostname : 192.168.100.15 (IP of the webserver)
    URL: /wifi/indexx (location inside the webserver of the CP)

When you use localhost in Hostname, the AP will try to redict you to a webserver in the localhost (the device itself) so when you do it in the Android/Iphone you won't get anything unless you have a webserver running in port 80. Probably you tested the CP in the Windows machine hosting the ECP and that's why it opened.

Hope this helps.

Regards

------------------------------
    Ulises Cazares

• 4.  RE: IAP-205 External Captive Portal config doesn't redirect when accessing via iPhone, Android, Windows 10 etc...

Posted Apr 20, 2021 11:13 AM
    Thanks for the response! In my case, the config looks like this.

ip/hostname : https://wifi.mydomain.com
    URL: /wifi/index (location inside the webserver of the CP)
    Port: 443

Do I need to use an IP address? If so, I don't think I have a dedicated IP to use.

• 5.  RE: IAP-205 External Captive Portal config doesn't redirect when accessing via iPhone, Android, Windows 10 etc...

Posted Apr 20, 2021 10:59 AM
    As for the certificate. Did you upload the cert in the Aruba AP as captive portal?

The instant.arubanetworks.com is the default cert for the WEBUI and Captive portal.  Is not about the ssl keys is abput the cert. When you use the ECP the AP should redirect you to the webserver and thats the first cert you will see but the credentials are POSTed you will see the cert in the AP.

Ulises Cazares

• 6.  RE: IAP-205 External Captive Portal config doesn't redirect when accessing via iPhone, Android, Windows 10 etc...

Posted Apr 20, 2021 11:15 AM
    Thanks! This is really helpful. I'll check and see. I know I had issues with this.

• 7.  RE: IAP-205 External Captive Portal config doesn't redirect when accessing via iPhone, Android, Windows 10 etc...

Posted Apr 20, 2021 02:58 PM
    @ulises.cazares I tried to upload my crt file using the Captive portal server type but it doesn't work. It looks like it is looking for a Private key which is what you would think would be uploaded. I use DigiCert (Windows app) to create my CSR and export my private keys. Does anyone have instructions on how to create the Captive portal server cert?​​​

Thanks!

• 8.  RE: IAP-205 External Captive Portal config doesn't redirect when accessing via iPhone, Android, Windows 10 etc...

Posted Apr 20, 2021 04:46 PM
    Hi, in order to upload the cert to the AP you have to paste all the certs in a notepad as save the file as .pem.

You have to include the following:

certificate for your captive portal
    private key
    certificate for intermediate CA
    certificate for root CA

It should look somehow like this (i removed a lot of the certs lines)

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
    MIIF2jCCBMKgAwIBAgIRAIHUNM1mLTHkZlbOI7qb+gkwDQYJKoZIhvcNAQELBQAw
    gY8xCzAJBgNVBAYTAkdCMRswGQYDVQQIExJHcmVhdGVyIE1hbmNoZXN0ZXIxEDAO
    -----END CERTIFICATE-----
    -----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----
    MIIEvQIBADANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAASCBKcwggSjAgEAAoIBAQDMy2fTqFcaLN3y
    RUCn2x4YQ0n9D1oA0YzrDcboO276PyJPfpJGoW7bHbbFlmmePXhXEzGx92Xf4jM7
    -----END PRIVATE KEY-----
    -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
    MIIFgTCCBGmgAwIBAgIQOXJEOvkit1HX02wQ3TE1lTANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQwFADB7
    MQswCQYDVQQGEwJHQjEbMBkGA1UECAwSR3JlYXRlciBNYW5jaGVzdGVyMRAwDgYD
    -----END CERTIFICATE-----