Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Help With IAP22 and Access Virtual Controller

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Help With IAP22 and Access Virtual Controller

Posted Nov 23, 2021 10:16 AM
    I have a small 3 IAP22 network that I am having issues with.  I setup the first IAP22 and accessed it with the Aruba Instant On app and then added the other two IAP's with the app as well.  They are setup up with one hardwired and the other two mesh.  No issues adding them or doing basic setup.  Can see them in my inventory, add SSID/Networks, VLAN's, all that good stuff.  When I log in to the Aruba Instant On Portal, I can see the devices and networks there as well.  The problem I am having is in access the virtual controller for these three IAP's.  When I go to the IP address of either of the three IAP's, I am presented with a splash page with some basic information on the device (serial, MAC, IP and such).  But no ability to get in to any configuration.  It also shows that it is connected to the Portal and onboarded.  How can I access the virtual controller and the configuration options?

Thanks

------------------------------
    Charles Huitt

• 2.  RE: Help With IAP22 and Access Virtual Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 24, 2021 06:44 AM
    IAP22 are not Aruba Instant APs, but InstantON APs, which are two completely different systems. InstantON does not have a virtual controller, but is full App/cloud managed.

Here is the forum for InstantON.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Help With IAP22 and Access Virtual Controller

Posted Nov 24, 2021 09:25 AM
    Thank you for the response and clarification.  Yes, I understand the difference and know the AP22's are Instant On AP's.  Pretty evident simply by the name.  I used "IAP" as a short cut term.  My mistake and I will type the complete name.  The reason I posted the question and asked is this is something new on the Instant On AP22's and not the Instant On "family".  I have deployed various Instant On AP's, as well as other Aruba AP's, in a variety of networks.  Other Instant On AP's I have used before have the ability to enter the "virtual controller" when you access the IP address or "setup" SSID for that AP.  This allows you to get to the advanced settings.  But, for some reason now with the AP22's, you only get a splash page with device info when you access the AP and not access to the admin settings as with other Instant On AP's.  Is this a change in the Instant On family?  A change with the firmware?  Or unique to the AP22's?

Charles Huitt

• 4.  RE: Help With IAP22 and Access Virtual Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 25, 2021 04:57 AM
    I think you should ask this question on the InstantON forum.

I personally don't know different than that InstantON APs only show that status page, but as mentioned InstantON is a completely different product and this forum is more about the Aruba enterprise products.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: Help With IAP22 and Access Virtual Controller

Posted Nov 25, 2021 12:36 PM
    Thank you.  I have asked the question there as well.  But since I have several large enterprise deployments with this being the firrst with Instant On AP's (a specialized deployment) I thought I would ask here as well.  Generally those of us who work in enterprise systems and networks have a broad knowledge base with the product lines.  I was hoping there was someone who understood the Instant On AP's and could provide some insight on why the AP22's are different.  While the web based portal gives you a certain level of administration, it doesn't go to the level of detail that you get in the virtual controller or with prior Instant On AP's.  Looks like I'm going to have to scrap this deployment and go back to Ubiquity.

Charles Huitt

• 6.  RE: Help With IAP22 and Access Virtual Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 26, 2021 05:57 AM
    As mentioned, I have never seen an InstantON WebUI with configuration options. I have (just) an AP12 and see exactly what you describe, a screen with just the status. From what I learned on InstantOS this is also how it is supposed to be, no local management, just via the cloud via app or web portal. Are you sure that the APs that have local management are not Aruba Instant APs (vs Instant On)?? Can you share a screenshot of what you see on the APs that do allow local management?

Herman Robers
    ------------------------