Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Client Flapping on Instant Network

This thread has been viewed 26 times
  • 1.  Client Flapping on Instant Network

Posted Mar 08, 2021 11:36 PM

I have a small Aruba Instant network consisting of two 315s.  It has been reliable and without issues since I installed it 18 months ago.  I'm having difficulty connecting an Arlo Pro 4 Wireless camera.

By design, this camera connects directly to Wi-Fi (without a base station that many Wi-Fi cameras have).  Once connected to the designated SSID on the Instant network, it continuously disconnects and reconnects from Wi-Fi.  You can ping the device, which will respond for 3-4 packets, and then it will disconnect from Wi-Fi for 10-15 seconds, at which point the cycle repeats.  Because of the "6 month without recharge" battery in the camera, I suspect power management may be the issue, but I am uncertain.  The camera connects (and stays connected) on Wi-Fi offered by an Arris device, so the camera does not appear to be defective.

Current firmware on the Instant is 8.7.1.1_78245, but this was also happening with 8.6.0.7_78215.

I've tried both wmm-uapsd-disable and rx-ampdu-agg-disable on the wlan ssid-profile.  I am unsure what else I should try.  What logging commands might help diagnose the issue?  Has anyone resolved a similar issue?

• 2.  RE: Client Flapping on Instant Network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 10, 2021 04:04 AM
    This device may not like extensions like 11d/h/k/r/v. You can try to disable those or enable and see if that makes a difference. 11d/h is under the RF Radio Profile, 11k/r/v are under the security tab of your SSID.

Sometimes upgrading the firmware on your camera may resolve the issue as well.

You can check the wireless logs on your Instant AP, or turn on debugging, but I would advise consulting your Aruba partner or TAC Support for that.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Client Flapping on Instant Network

Posted Mar 10, 2021 09:55 AM
    Hi Herman,
    Thanks for the response.  11d/h were already turned off, and disabling 11k/r/v didn't seem to make a difference.  There is no firmware update available.  
    Before I open a case with TAC, what logging might you suggest that I review from the CLI?
    Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Client Flapping on Instant Network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2021 04:38 AM

I would be curious to know the 802.11 particulars of the Arris device where this STA works.
    To follow Herman's comments, there is likely some difference that this client does not like, power saving is indeed a logical possibility, as well as the mentioned standards.

One needs to understand why the client is disconnecting.

IAP commands:
    # baseline of the 802.11 STA
    show client debug
    show ap association

# Some historical data:
    show ap debug auth
    show ap debug mgmt-frames
    show ap debug client-frame-history client-mac <STA MAC>
    show ap debug client-stats <STA MAC> <BSSID>

# near real-time providing some of the best data:
    show ap debug client-table  | inc <STA MAC>

# if the issue appears at the higher layers, for example DHCP not working, or IPV4 working but
    the device disconnects 802.11 because higher layers are not working, a packet capture might help.

# packet capture within the IAP where the STA is connected
    debug pkt match mac <MACADDR:mac>
    debug pkt dump  (CTRL Q to quit)

Here, one can obtain an idea how the client is connecting (frequency, standard used, etc..). the client stats
    may give a clue as to what is going wrong. the management frame data may show the last event before disconnect.

Hope this helps.

​​​​​

Shawn Adams